New to the smoking game, have a 14.5 question

Bryan Von

Hey gang, thanks for the add.

I got my 14.5 and I'm ready to jump into the world of smoking. Had a few questions as to what the 14.5 can handle.

Has anyone done pork shoulder on it? Could I fit a decent sized one on here and if so, could I also do something at same time on bottom rack? Say maybe ribs?

Any help with tips on the 14.5 in general would be great. Recipes and all.

Thanks

I don't have the 14.5", but you won't have any problems getting a butt on there, regardless of size. I've fit three on an 18" grid on a Big Green Egg, all in the 5.5-6lbs range. You could do ribs on the other rack if you wanted, you'll have to cut them in half or roll them up though.

Whenever you do the cook, keep in mind what time everything goes on or comes off. In other words, if you want them both done at the same time the butt will take a lot longer, so put it on the bottom rack. If you put it on the top rack you'll have to pull it out to put anything onto the lower rack.

As for recipes, tips, etc, google is your friend. Keep in mind that recipes you find on other sites, and even for other types of smokers, will also work on your WSM. Temp and time and meat don't care what vessel it's in.

When it comes to pork butts I keep it simply - pull them out of the fridge, pat dry with a paper towel, cover in Butt Rub, smoke at 225-250, check to see if it's done when it hits 195*F. I don't sauce during the cook, or wrap in foil, or brine it, or inject it, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

The most useful accessory (IMO) is a remote thermometer so you can easily keep an eye on temperature of the smoker and your meat. I've got this one, but there's lots of options out there, some are better I'm sure, with more features like wifi/internet connectivity.

Here's the three butts I fit on an 18" rack, I was cooking for a post-bike-ride meal. Three butts, one finished, and pulling it at the bike shop after the ride.

mUgF81b.jpg

gAd2sbV.jpg

dXB6HQx.jpg

Back