Memorial Day get together

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
Had a few people over today and life got a little bit busy. Did 10 racks of Baby Backs in my Smoke Hollow and fired the RK up for some serious grilling.

IMG_20170529_160045.jpg

My numbers might be off, but I believe it's 15 pork loin chops, 22 bone in chx breasts, 10 boneless chx breasts, 14 NY Strips and 5 hamburgers. Ended up finishing the BBs on my MiniRk, some sauced, some naked, but didn't manage to get any pics of that either.

I have to say, I LOVE my RK!!!

When I scrolled down to see the photo, "Whoa!" just popped out of my mouth! :D

Looks like you've got hot coals on the left, no coals in the middle, and what on the right?

When I scrolled down to see the photo, "Whoa!" just popped out of my mouth! :D

Looks like you've got hot coals on the left, no coals in the middle, and what on the right?

Setup was both flip grates were up and had a full chimney dumped through each. Used the Weber rake to spread the coals so that the aligned with the flip up grates. So, direct hot zones on left and right with center open.

Also, I ended up dumping a 2nd lit chimney on the right hand side to direct cook the steaks and burgers, and to also provide more heat for those damned bone ins to finish. Those things were freaking huge. People standing around swore that they must have been from turkeys or eagles or something. they came 3 to a pack and the smallest package was over 5 lbs.

Thanks. Yeah, I definitely put the RK through it's paces. And yes, I was stupidly busy throughout the cook. Can't think of one time really where it was just "close the lid, sit back and let it cook for a while." Here's a somewhat detailed breakdown of the whole cook.

Dumped a full chimney on each side of the RK pretty much corresponding to the flip up grates. Bone in chx went on skin down first for some direct cook action covering both sides of the grill. Flipped them all for some direct cooking on the bone side as well, then moved to indirect down the center of the Rk. As the bone in chx started to be moved to the center, boneless breasts went down on the right hand side. I saw that the coals were dying down at this point so I fired up another chimney. While it was ashing over, the chops went down on the left. Boneless chx got moved to the center also, grate got flipped up, chimney got dumped, then the NY Strips and the 5 burgers went on the right hand side for some direct action as well.

I should point out that this all didn't go like clockwork, or "all this, then all that". It was more fluid. I started the bone in on the right hand side and after it filled up, then I went to the left. Add in that the heat on either side wasn't exactly uniform, as it never is. So, some of the chix on the right were the first to be flipped, then some on the left, then back to the stuff on the cooler part of the right, etc, etc, etc. Rinse and repeat for everything that went on after that. Man, stuff was flying everywhere. "It's done, move it to indirect", "oh, wait, maybe it needs a bit more time, move it back". "It's hotter there, so swap those two around", "Well hell, you only have 2 chops left, squeeze them in there"...

Basically, same kind of stuff you would run into during a cook on a normal kettle, times twenty bazillion it seems because there's sooooo damned much on there. I was absolutely spent after bringing everything off the grill and sending it to the table.

And I did run out of space as I had planned to finish the 10 racks of ribs over charcoal, some with sauce, some without. Ended up firing up yet another chimney and dumped that into my Mini RK and finished the ribs there.

WOW!!! That is some awesome looking meat. Along with a very full RK, you did a great job and I'm sure everyone enjoyed it.

Thanks Barb! Yeah, everyone seemed to have a great time. I had a nice little crowd congregating around the grill. People just can't get over it's size !

Back