Can you add handles to the center section on a 14.5 WSM.?

Yes. The biggest problem is finding the right handle. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/adding-handles-to-cooking-section.html
If you don't want to drill holes, then use the existing bolts that hold the grill supports. This requires finding a handle large enough for your hand, with mounting holes that fit the spacing of the existing bolts - not an easy thing to find. As an alternative you might consider using knobs instead of handles, since they only need one hole each. I think a pair of lion's head drawer pulls would be interesting, but probably not practical.
Pair-2-Vintage-Brass-Lion-Head-Drawer-Pulls-_1.jpg

If you don't mind drilling holes to mount the handles horizontally you have a wider selection of handles that will work. Just be aware that mounting a wide handle with a flat base on the curved body of the smaller WSM may create a problem. Even with the 18.5 I put washers under the mounting screws to keep the center of the handle from pushing in the side of the WSM.

I actually really like the "Lions head" pull idea! I wasn't considering handles but, I can see the advantage, now I will have to start snooping for handles! Two should not be hard to find.
Sold!

I used zinc coated garage door handles on my 18 . Installed them over 20 years ago. I used the existing holes in the handles go up and down on the sides.
Back to the 14 in. I like the idea of knobs I will find some today being a lighter and smaller unit..
THANKS...

I used zinc coated garage door handles on my 18 . Installed them over 20 years ago. I used the existing holes in the handles go up and down on the sides.
Back to the 14 in. I like the idea of knobs I will find some today being a lighter and smaller unit..
THANKS...

I had the same garage door handles on my 18 for several years, but recently changed them out so that the new cover I bought would be easier to put on and take off.
WSM%20Handle%202.jpg

In my opinion that is by far the best looking option, and probably the most comfortable and easiest to use, too. I wanted something that folded flat so that my cover would fit over it as little manipulation as possible, so I chose the utilitarian (i.e., ugly but effective) option. :)
I like the look too. FYI the 26" kettle cover fits nicely over the 22" WSM with these handles and the 22" kettle cover fits nicely over the 18" WSM with these handles...little long but works

I think they didn't want to have people lifting the center section off during a cook, with the potential of spilling a pan full of boiling water and getting burned (and filing a lawsuit). I can understand their thinking (I was an insurance company safety consultant for 40 years). I haven't used water in the pan in many years, so having/using the handles is a modest, and easily controlled additional hazard. Most of the time I'm handling the center section when it isn't hot, taking it off to load the meat before pouring the lit coals into the charcoal pan, then setting it onto the base to begin cooking.

Back