Spitting Chickens

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
That got your attention eh?

On a Project Smoke I watched Steven rotisserize a chicken on a Weber kettle, and he ran the spit through the bird's sides.
Char baskets of lit lump at the head and feet of the foul, and a pan with veggies to cook below.

After some thought, this doesn't seem like the best way to spit a bird.
I think most of us run it through the cavity, and I think this way exposes the, usually longer to cook, thighs to more heat than head over heals.
Although it would give more room for additional chickens.

What are your thoughts?
Here's a pic with 2 birds showing his method.
edit, it might have been an older Primal Grill show.

chickenroast.jpg

Last edited:
can't hurt to try it...

what is Project Smoke?

edit: I should have read your entire post, I neglected to read the very last line

A different picture went through my brain whe I read your title!
If you were doing a great number of chickens, I might see the method, I think I could get four on my 22 spitted that way but, I'm thinking the same thing, the breast would get much more done than I think I would like. If only doing two, I mate them head to tail and they work out beautifully.

I usually don't spin my chickens. Tried it several times, but seem to like grilling or Que'ing pieces better.

Sure looks good Bob. I wouldn't hesitate to give it a try, but I rarely spin more than one bird so there really wouldn't be a point. Maybe a bunch of game hens?

Most I do is 2 using the frame-up-the-butt method. The spit gets one extra bird BUT I can see my grill handling 3 in any case.

Always nice to see variations on a theme and then can make your own decision how to proceed.

Late to the party, I know. I personally wouldn't arrange birds that way, possibly if they were skewered normally he would have run out of room ?

Back