Custom Flavorizer Bars

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
What would be the problem with cutting angle iron to the correct length to replace the flavorizer bars in a Weber grill? The thick angle iron would last a lot longer than the thin ceramic coated stock ones. Is there any reason that wouldn't work or is there some reason that you would advise against it? $10 vs $50 is what I see.

I see no problem there, although it may take a little longer to heat up.

Do it and let us know what happened!

Somebody on here once cut bed rails (I think) to size to use as FB's ...

Well, Came across a Spirit E210 grill where someone had done it but they only had 4 of the bars. I am pretty sure it was supposed to have 5 for a double burner.
I have already ordered a new set, but I have a couple other weber genesis grills that need the flavorizer bars replaced.

Here is the ones in the Spirit E210

20170513%20Weber%20Spirit%20E210%20Before%20Pictures%2014_zpsf8vvl2s2.jpg

Complete the set! Angle iron is an inexpensive experiment, and I'd be curious how long they would last. Of course, it will take many years to know, but I'm in!

Heck, if they would last 3 years, then just replace them but I am guessing they will last longer than the tinfoil OEM ones. I just looked it up. Home depot for a 6 foot section of 1" x 1/8" angle iron is about $10. The only issue is performance, I would think.

By the way, there should be one other bar for that grill pictured above. Correct??? Or is the center supposed to be left open?

Also, what about aluminum angle iron? Would that hold up? Home Depot has a 96" length of 1" x 1/20" aluminum angle iron for $13.28. It won't rust, it isn't as thick as the steel ones, but it won't rust either and it would still be thicker than the OEM Weber bars.

Last edited:
Aluminum would burn through. Just get stainless steel ones and they'll last nearly a lifetime

I don't know if geometry will come into play here. Specifically, how tall and wide the bars are. I mean, I'd think there would have to be a reason why Weber made the bars the size they are.

Well, it looks like the standard Weber bars are not 90 degrees like angle iron is. More like 75 to 80 degrees. But, I am guessing that a 90 degree piece of angle iron that is the same width at the base as the factory bars would work well. Just not as steep of a pitch and the "gunk" might tend to run off them less effectively.

I just wonder how long basic, uncoated steel would last...it is clearly much thicker than the weber material, even with the ceramic coating.

First non-Q. I have 3 genesis grills in the garage just waiting

Cool. If I might offer some advice. A number of people have started using the Glossy high heat paint on the firebox and lid panels as it comes out as a nice deep black instead of a chalky gray. Also, the best piece of advice I ever got here, advice that I stubbornly ignored for some time, was to use an angle grinder and a cup wire brush to clean up the inside of the cook box. If you don't have one, they have some at harbor freight for like $10 and $15. I used to scrub away with chemicals, steel wool, scrapers and the like. Then tried using a wire wheel and a drill. The angle grinder completely changed my life when it comes to those damned boxes.

Angle Grinders
https://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-buffers/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-43-amp-angle-grinder-69645.html

Cup wire brush
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-crimped-wire-cup-brush-60321.html

Some people are using these as well:
https://www.harborfreight.com/4-12-in-polycarbide-abrasive-wheel-60571.html

Some would say that it's better to invest in a quality angle grinder. I've done 8 grills now on a $15 grinder and the only real downside is that after running it for 10 mins, it gets a bit hot, so I turn it off, smoke a Marlboro, drink a Coke and then get back at it again. If/when it dies, I'll drop another $15 and still be way ahead of the game.

I already have that exact same grinder. I will be stopping at Harbor Freight for the cup brush and the abrasive wheel tomorrow. Thank you

Back