Mod for a short 22" Performer

I don't want to put in on a hitch carrier. You have to unload it to open the tail gate. I want to roll it into the bed which has a cap on it and the max height to get under hinges is 34". I wanted to know if anyone has recently assembled a basic Performer and could tell me whether I can cut 4"-6" off the legs and still assemble it. Not worried if I have drill a few new holes for the axle or braces or have to use self tapping screws. Mostly concerned whether casters will fit if legs on that side are cut down. And advice about how much it can be cut down and still get the ash catcher off.

Why not use a slightly more basic "tripod leg" model, trim the ends and there you have it! Or must you have the (too small for me) side table?
Somebody did a shorty around this forum recently, can't remember where or who, sorry.
Look in the "mods" section, 18" shorty, the concept is exactly the same!

Last edited:
I don't want to put in on a hitch carrier. You have to unload it to open the tail gate. I want to roll it into the bed which has a cap on it and the max height to get under hinges is 34". I wanted to know if anyone has recently assembled a basic Performer and could tell me whether I can cut 4"-6" off the legs and still assemble it. Not worried if I have drill a few new holes for the axle or braces or have to use self tapping screws. Mostly concerned whether casters will fit if legs on that side are cut down. And advice about how much it can be cut down and still get the ash catcher off.

Steve, pretty sure you can cut it down. the tubes on the cart aren't tapered. Will definitely require some modding, but you've pretty much already laid out what has to be done.

that said, it might suck to cook on it at the new height. Maybe cut each leg and figure out a way to fashion some locking hinges ? What I'm picturing is kind of having 1 "knee joint" per leg. Unlock, joint collapses, grill gets shorter and slides right in.

Last edited:
I have that same performer, and yea it looks like you could cut the legs and reattach the bottom with no problem.
But why not just lay it on it's side? That's what my Son does in his pick up when he brings it to BBQ's.

Tim

Like Dave said you can cut it down but the cook height would stink, so why not cut make two sets of sleeve (a pipe inside a pipe) cut out the amount of pipe you want to make it fit in your truck.
Make a sleeve set for that then make another set to return to the regular or even taller if you are of taller stature.
These leg sleeves could be stored attached under the folding shelf.
Just a thought.

Will it fit with the lid removed?
When I had my (stock) performer, I could remove the lid, turn it over and it fit quite nicely. This is starting to get complicated.
Kevin's idea is pretty basic. You could also cut the legs, and install lengths of pipe inside which protrude maybe three inches and then they are self storing pretty much.
Anybody want to buy a bridge?

Something impressive to show up my neighbor's. You know real gross looking eye sore kind ,only a mother would love.
Got the picture, and only 200 and I thought you would take advantage of me being from cantucke. ...

Something impressive to show up my neighbor's. You know real gross looking eye sore kind ,only a mother would love.
Got the picture, and only 200 and I thought you would take advantage of me being from cantucke. ...

Look Kevin, I only sell 'em, moving it is up to you!

A mandolin player would never try to swindle someone from "The Bluegrass State"!

Back