Best grill with horizontal burners?

Vince Russell

Looking for a used top of the line grill with horizontal burners.
Of course all the new stuff is vertical and will not do for rotisserie work.
I looked at the IR burners and they are not wide enough to cover a full Prime Rib.
I remember seeing the next generation top end grills from Weber in the stores and they looked perfect.
They were wider, mounted the rotisserie a bit higher and had a sear option. It would be nice to rotisserie bone-in Pork without trimming the ends of the bones.
My Genesis Gold has served me very well but it would be nice to have all SS construction...
TIA,
Vince

You'll never find one. Though you could look at one of these (or similar from the same grill family) http://www.broilkingbbq.com/grills/sovereign/sovereign_xls_90 I have looked at them. Top notch product, quite a lot less $$$ than a Weber, still made in USA and a full width rotisserie burner (though not an infrared type) IMO while own, use and love my infrared (Wolf grill) the fact of infrared is WAY over rated IMO. I also used to own an old Ducane with a conventional full width rotisserie burner and it did a wonderful job plus had the added benefit of having a smoker tray built on it (which I think the Broil King does also)

I keep an evil eye out on CL!
The BK looks interesting. Does it have horizontal burners or just a rotisserie burner?
Very inexpensive!
Vince

Looking for a used top of the line grill with horizontal burners.
Of course all the new stuff is vertical and will not do for rotisserie work.
I looked at the IR burners and they are not wide enough to cover a full Prime Rib.
I remember seeing the next generation top end grills from Weber in the stores and they looked perfect.
They were wider, mounted the rotisserie a bit higher and had a sear option. It would be nice to rotisserie bone-in Pork without trimming the ends of the bones.
My Genesis Gold has served me very well but it would be nice to have all SS construction...
TIA,
Vince

Why not consider the first series Genesis 300 (2008-11)?

295e9no.jpg

You can find these on CL and OfferUp from time to time. This grill had stainless hood and stainless grate options also. These were the last grills that Weber made with horizontal or "E-W" burners. They are bigger than the earlier Genesis Gold and I would think be a good choice for rotisserie setup.

Before everyone goes ballistic, I have had the joy/trials of rebuilding a number of this and the next Genesis 300 grills, almost all of which featured badly rusted-out cabinets and often rusted frame bottoms as well. I have been blessed to have a sheet metal shop owner make me 304 stainless replacement parts for the bottom and back. You can look at my earlier threads to see what he made for me. You might be able to get the same thing done where you are. Then, if you do some repair and serious rust preventative on the side parts that include the frame pieces you would have a pretty solid, mostly stainless grill that would make a great foundation for a rotisserie set up.

Last edited:
That looks like the one I found. It has a real low rotisserie centerline that is not ideal. They made a later model that corrected that.
I am still looking for the holly grail. I will have to modify this one to raise the centerline.

OK, it sounds like you want a Genesis 1000. It has the deep cookbox. It also has the two layers of flavorizer bars which is the reason for the deep cook box. If you take out the top row of flavorizer bars, you have a ton of room for whatever is spinning on the roto.

I have a Genesis 1000 and roto and use it quite often that way.

l6vaDuf.jpg

BnvC7Hz.jpg

Last edited:
Hard to argue with that result! Bruce, you are making us all hungry!

Vince, I think Bruce has the right answer. The deeper box Genesis were actually the earliest ones. To pair that with mostly stainless would take some creativity and combining older and newer parts, but I think it could be done. Look at Leandro’s recent thread about his 2005 Genesis Platinum restore. If you had one of those to start with and swapped out the firebox and manifold with ones from a 1000 you might have your holy grail!:D

Yup, I have a Silver B and a Genny 1000 and I prefer the deep box of the Genny 1000 since you can take off the top row of flavo bars.

Yup, I have a Silver B and a Genny 1000 and I prefer the deep box of the Genny 1000 since you can take off the top row of flavo bars.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I believe you can use the Silver/Gold/Platinum hoods with the earlier 1000 series firebox. You could then get the best of both worlds, especially if you prefer the stainless hoods or just like the more modern style porcelain hoods with a center mount thermometer. I have always thought the last Genesis (and the Spirit grills for a few years after that) had a much better handle since it curved out and away from the grill. Less chance of burned knuckles:mad:!

I have got used the lower centerline and all is well!
When spinning the largest of Prime ribs I remove the most center flavorizer bar and cover it with foil.
It is coming time to replace all the burner stuff. getting kind of crusty.
Vince

Bruce, what is the Weber part number for the counterweight on that rotisserie? lol

How do you like that style of rotisserie? I got one for $15 off Kijiji but have not used it yet.

Thanks, Richard.

Richard: That was the first roto I got for my grill. It worked good and is great for things like whole chickens and ribs too, but I have to admit that I have not used it since the day I found one of the ones with forks (and counter weight). Simpler to use and a lot easier to keep clean and keep balanced. I still have both.

The channel locks are funny, but actually quite effective.

Yah, I just realized I called them Channel Locks. They are Locking Pliers or "Vice Grips", non Channel Locks. But, whatever you call them, they work as a counter balance.

Back