Berkshire Pork Spares for Smoke Day

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
I hope everyone had (or is having) a great Smoke Day. As for myself, my family hosted our usual set of friends that have been attending Smoke Day for the past few years. For Smoke Day 13, we served Berkshire pork spareribs, pulled pork, and smoked beef plate ribs, as well as side dishes of coleslaw, potato salad, and homemade mac & cheese. I didn't bother taking pictures of the pulled pork and beef ribs, as I had cooked those during previous weekends and just reheated them in their FoodSaver bags. My rib cook went pretty well and I had enough time to take lots of photos, so here it goes...

Firing up some Rockwood lump charcoal with peach wood chunks for smoke.

The ribs are Snake River Farms kurobuta spares, seasoned with Oakridge BBQ Secret Weapon Pork & Chicken Rub. The cook was done on the old red Performer with the Cajun Bandit Stacker attachment.

About four hours into the cook, starting to get some nice meat pullback from the bones.

Bark is forming up nicely with a deep mahogany color.

Closeup of the finished spares, which were glazed with Blues Hog Original. Personally, I'd rather eat these ribs with no sauce, but I gotta give the people what they want. :)

And finally my favorite picture from Smoke Day: my 9 month old boy getting a head start on his BBQ training on the toy Weber Kettle. I took me several attempts to get a good photo because he kept on sticking the spatula in his mouth. :D

Beautiful ribs there, Jerome. Looks like you'll have quite a good sous chef in no time.

Jerome that is some delicious looking barbecue. Very nice! Nice shot of the youngster learning the ropes. Very cute!

Back