Franklin 50/50 rub - is the pepper ratio too spicy for all palettes?

Sean M.

TVWBB Fan
Hello;
Getting ready for my 1st brisket/butcher wrap/AF/50-50 salt/pepper rub.

For those that have tried, do any of your guests find that the pepper
may be too spicy? Specifically children. I am thinking that after the hours
cooking and the sitting in the paper that it would flavor it perfectly but I
just wanted to see what your findings are.

Thank you and happy smoke day.
~ Sean

I remember reading in an article that he doesn't use freshly ground pepper, and that he likes slighly older pepper that is more mellow. I've been doing it roughly 50/50 forever and I've never had anyone think it was too spicy. I use store bought coarse ground black pepper most of the time and mix it 50/50 by volume with kosher salt. Sometimes I'll grind it myself. Now in my sausage I do it 50/50 by weight and the black pepper does add a lot of spice, but I also use some, but not a lot of cayenne.

A lot of the pepper flavor dissipates when cooking. Which, for me, is a reason to avoid S&P rub on brisket. I much prefer something with more complexity. But, to each his own.

Carl, I typically find the complexity can get lost over a very long smoke unless you wrap early, cook at higher temps and are very careful with your smoke. I've been to some Texas joints that I know are doing something more complex than salt and pepper, though, even though they claim it's only salt and pepper. I'm using just that in my brisket today, but I've got some very nice beef.

Cayenne, Chili, White, even Allspice and Clove are considered Peppers. He's very ambiguous when describing his mixture and sometimes makes a face. So his 50/50 Salt & Pepper could be - and most likely is - more than just the assumed Black Pepper and Kosher Salt.

I believe to achieve a true 50/50 blend of kosher salt and pepper is to use measurements in weight (grams), not volume (cups).
When I mix the two, I usually go 100 grams salt, 100 grams pepper. Its pretty consistent. And not too peppery or salty.

5zNVpITruER6Y_e-7eDo9ZoP7hqFZEzj-2nA_0nUcpihoHTHWBPILt_s8ZQaoC5EuUvZYSwhjYDqjFiUQc-WaGPjvYpYneBO4KDLHpCc2_H8jVqP-MiMI0XCldX7pt3nJijxhogMJsvzzAfBPdfaoXkuMMdiGbGFipFs1Js55nycBaEsKDvqlFZolt6ywfwCSbrUxLaJNJTOk6v3WLEBow6a_COvvux80irYNW0fHSrc8e-jzDkjhD4Gmw8heGAxBJ_9MEV2chCr7FL6kH2WnrtirtfFRyfl98-YTmL_kZvTAIupO6RYAM4zPTk_3Fl1o-eDBxxgjn37M2H1LEe_U-8JBAyZfbA_Fm5OWhvlB8PR-94O6jz8Eoi7jCwN_1ygDbVU2PU6TY2X5OfAhElJKpcreO0CjN4_HgXF_RniTMMNsCUqFCWo8Ef6sofUdU-8dTwkKpJ0WxQggiMEwpOQBXLfd2WXs-9iUvlinYMrMtRUZhH6kLkYUr5BIILz4glkYTfrgAWg704x1Q9vtye0TxriDiz-fOI3-0VSthiI3jYf5BdoGUnQdrfp6hHI-8me1aikhOhnRLaR2FTKOCst0PsXgnZ4j5Pn8VHcF5LNlP4XjyBLGkbBtw=w976-h594-no

Thank you guys.

@Dustin - how was your brisket?

It turned out amazing! I posted some pictures in the smoke-day section. The brisket I got had a huge point that overlapped most of the flat. My butcher is now carrying this brand called "Aspen Ridge." It's a all-natural prime brisket. It's pretty close to Creekstone Farms. He can't get the Creekstone anymore, because everyone is buying them up to emulate Franklin.

I believe to achieve a true 50/50 blend of kosher salt and pepper is to use measurements in weight (grams), not volume (cups).
When I mix the two, I usually go 100 grams salt, 100 grams pepper. Its pretty consistent. And not too peppery or salty.

5zNVpITruER6Y_e-7eDo9ZoP7hqFZEzj-2nA_0nUcpihoHTHWBPILt_s8ZQaoC5EuUvZYSwhjYDqjFiUQc-WaGPjvYpYneBO4KDLHpCc2_H8jVqP-MiMI0XCldX7pt3nJijxhogMJsvzzAfBPdfaoXkuMMdiGbGFipFs1Js55nycBaEsKDvqlFZolt6ywfwCSbrUxLaJNJTOk6v3WLEBow6a_COvvux80irYNW0fHSrc8e-jzDkjhD4Gmw8heGAxBJ_9MEV2chCr7FL6kH2WnrtirtfFRyfl98-YTmL_kZvTAIupO6RYAM4zPTk_3Fl1o-eDBxxgjn37M2H1LEe_U-8JBAyZfbA_Fm5OWhvlB8PR-94O6jz8Eoi7jCwN_1ygDbVU2PU6TY2X5OfAhElJKpcreO0CjN4_HgXF_RniTMMNsCUqFCWo8Ef6sofUdU-8dTwkKpJ0WxQggiMEwpOQBXLfd2WXs-9iUvlinYMrMtRUZhH6kLkYUr5BIILz4glkYTfrgAWg704x1Q9vtye0TxriDiz-fOI3-0VSthiI3jYf5BdoGUnQdrfp6hHI-8me1aikhOhnRLaR2FTKOCst0PsXgnZ4j5Pn8VHcF5LNlP4XjyBLGkbBtw=w976-h594-no

I do likewise.

Back