Direct vs Indirect cooking

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Can someone explain the difference between the two. I see people talk about it with two and three burner grills. Also, why would you use one method over the other?

Indirect cooking is a slower way to cook the meat. The meat's proteins are like the insides of baseballs. All wound up tightly and specifically. Cooking food "denatures" proteins, meaning it unwinds the twine inside the baseball. If you cook fast with high heat, it unwinds fast and messy. If you cook slow (indirectly) they unwind more slowly, resulting in more tender meat.

That's how I understand it .... but I'm sure others will have less scientific and therefore better explanations!

Slainte!

Thanks for that explanation. But if told my self that I wanted to cook my steak directly, how exactly is that done? Same question for indirectly?

Great vid Bob !! Bruce, there's one other option, which is to cook both direct and indirect, whether it's to sear first then go with indirect, or reverse sear by cooking indirect first, then finishing with a hard sear.

Excellent. I will try both methods and some of the combinations as described. Thanks again fellas.

Back