Moinks, Wings and a brand new Vortex

RussL

TVWBB Member
So my vortex got delivered last night and I have been planning to do a nice batch of wings to break it in. I'm also doing a batch of moink balls and was wondering if there was any reason I can't just cook them the same way I'm cooking the wings on the vortex.

Sounds like a good idea to me, the bacon should get nice and crispy. I've only done wings and thighs with mine so far.

Would work well and something for myself to think about when I toss mine in the smoker soon enough. This weekend I am sans wife and have my infant son and 3yr old. Hardly the time to play with my smoker haha

I don't see a problem. I've cooked wings and ABT's at the same time with the Vortex. Be sure and put some foil around the bottom grate, the Vortex burns hot and the bacon grease can catch fire if you're not paying attention. I know from experience.

What size Vortex did you order as my medium size Vortex for my Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill arrived a couple of weeks ago but it is still a "virgin"?

In reading some posts on this and another Forum that unit may be "Overkill" in that the Medium Size Vortex is one hell of a "barn Burner" and the smaller unit is better for a 22" size grill.

Last edited:
No problem cooking Wings and Moink's on the Vortex at the same time, just time the cook correctly and have a glass of water on stand by if you get a flare up/fire.
Works for me.

I just did a batch of wings + ABT's with my medium Vortex using my older Performer. I flat LOVE the Vortex. I think the Medium is the perfect size for the .22" Performer.

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back