Tool for removing fat from chicken skin

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
As anyone who's involved with competition barbecue knows, many teams remove the skin from chicken thighs, carefully cut away the fat on the back side of the skin, then replace the skin and cook the thighs. And the team member who pulls chicken skin duty will spend a good amount of time doing it and not be happy about it.

So when someone at a recent contest told me about a tool he uses for defatting chicken thigh skins, and told me that I could tell you if I kept his identity a secret, I knew I had to share it here with you.

He's using this:

Qwick Trim Brisket & Meat Trimmer

He says you just lay out the skin on a cutting board fat-side up, place the blade in the center of the skin and draw toward the edge, doing this a few times until half of the skin is cleared of fat, then turn the skin 180° and repeat. A few more swipes here and there to remove any straggling fat and you're done.

He said he does 14 chicken thigh skins in 15 minutes. Maybe 1 or 2 get a slight tear, but they're repairable, he says.

Anywho, maybe this will help some of you out there. As always, YMMV.

Replaceable blade?
Just looked at the link, and answered my own question, yes, it is replaceable!
I don't know what I need one but, it's kind of interesting. The number of brisket I do probably does not warrant the expense but, it's not stupid costly!
I really just need more meat to grill, smoke and enjoy much more than another tool!
Maybe some gen year old rum from Martinique....

Last edited:
I bought one of these from the Qwick Trim website and the the owner actually called me up to thank me for the order from Hawaii. We talked for nearly 30 minutes. In order to get the best cutting results, they used a medical biopsy blade for the trimmer. I haven't done chicken breasts with it yet, but it makes quick work of removing brisket fat and silver skin on other meats.

Back