Weber Grills: Why Do You Have What You Have?

We are all here because we like Weber grills. But I was thinking today: why do you own the grills that you own?

Specifically, I am curious why you own charcoal, gas, or combination of both? Why do some own one grill and others have many?

Some people collect Weber's; some like to restore them. Other people use them for competitions, while many use a Weber for recreational cooking.

It doesn't matter if you have one Weber or fifty; why do you have what you have?

1. WSM 18" Classic that I bought new in the year 2008 in order to BBQ LowNSlow, presently, around 4-5 times a year.

2. Weber 22" Mastertouch Grill that I purchased new last year to replace a rusted-out Weber OTG that I bought new in the year 2005 here in Costa Rica and which gets the most use in grilling steaks, fish, whatever, etc., once or twice weekly.

3. Weber Smoky Joe that I bought new this year which I use when my wife is at work or on a excursion trip. I am one of the lucky retirees.

I am presently thinking of adding a WeberQ Gas Grill to this mix as my 74 year old back is starting give me problems in stooping up-and-down.

Last edited:
This will be a fun topic. Parents bought a house in 1981 that had a pedestal mounted NG grill out by the pool, so that's where it all started for me. After we all moved to KY, Mom bought Dad a Weber Genny Gold C and I bought a Brinkmann 2700 Pro Series 6 burner. During cookouts, Dad would handle the small stuff on the Weber and I would do most the heavy lifting on the Brinkmann (think Summit 650 in size basically). Somewhere along the line I found this site and just kind of lurked. As time went along, parties kept getting bigger and the Genny C and the Brinkmann just weren't enough to handle it. Turning grills twice was fine, getting to the third and 4th time got old fast. So, I watched CL and picked up a Genny Silver C. Dad would handle side item type stuff on one Genny, I had the other one situated next to my Brinkmann forming an L. Fill up the Genny with chops, close the lid, rotate and fill the Brinkmann with steaks, close the lid, turn back to the Genny to flip, then flip on the Brinkmann, bring chops off the Genny, reload with chicken, bring steaks off the Brinkmann, reload with more steaks, yada, yada, yada.

then 4 or 5 years ago or so, I got it in my head to try charcoal just for kicks. Checked Cl and found a OTS. Went over, gave the guy $20 and brought it home. Damned thing sat in the back yard for 2 years untouched. Then, during a camping weekend, my uncle said "You are the grill master" and handed me a bag of charcoal and a tray of steaks and steered me over to an old, beat up Kingsford grill, the oval shaped one. Realistically, that was the first time I ever cooked with charcoal. Dad used to grill with charcoal many moons before, but the most I ever did was hold a plate or hand him a beer.

After that camp out, I wanted to cook with charcoal again but didn't want to mess with the OTS. Oh, I left out that it was missing it's ashpan, like that's a big deal or anything. Anyways, I had seen the Weber Performer and had to have one. After some time had passed, someone posted what I know to be a Gen2 Performer for $75 and I jumped on it. Went over to his house and checked out the grill, saw a little sticker on it that said $40. I pointed it out to him and he said that was what he asked for it at his yard sale the previous weekend. I asked if that was my price now and he said yes. I gave him $45, got

Anyways, that was the start. I reached a point where I preferred charcoal, but as I pointed out either here or over at WKC to someone, gassers were going to stay in my arsenal simply due to the volume of food they can put at parties. Would be very difficult with a bunch of 22's. Then I got my Ranch Kettle, and shortly after, my 2nd RK. Add in my 26.75 miniRK and I've just about reached the point where I'm going to start off loading the remaining gassers.

Last edited:
Since I started the post...maybe I should share my story. :D

My dad has always been into Weber's. He has an old Smokey Joe to cook steaks on at our Cabin. He had an early Genesis that we cooked on nightly at our home growing up (did our first July 4th Brisket on that thing too!). Anyway, when I started grilling quite a bit I'd use his old Rectangular Char-Broil BBQ/Smoker from the late 70's/early 80's. Made a lot of good food, but I wanted a solid Weber kettle and a smoker.

When I got married, one of the wedding presents I asked for was a WSM. I dropped so many hints to everyone (that I felt like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story"), but alas, was gifted a Vita Mix instead. Don't get me wrong, that was a great gift, that I still use almost daily. I love to cook...but still I longed for a WSM. My father-in-law gifted me his used Weber 22.5 Kettle back in 2008. It had to be one of the last ones made with wooden handles; handles disintegrated, the bowl was bent, lid munched, no ash pan, and the fire grate was concave. I honestly would have sworn it was from the early 80's. I had to replace the grates recently, but still used it in our current home. Just before I sold it last week, I decided to check the code to see how old it was: EI (1997). Man...that much abuse before I inherited it in 2008...wow! Anyway, I smoked my first turkey on it. Made complete meals and perfect tri-tips on it. It taught me what a Weber 22.5" kettle could do and what I needed as the family cook. And on that note...as a family cook, I look at Weber's as utensils. Sure they are "art," but at the end of the day they need to function. Period. Just like Le Cruset or All-Clad; I don't care what they look like...as long as they perform to the standard with which they were created.

So I currently own 3 Weber's: A 22.5" kettle, an 18.5" WSM, and a Ranch Kettle.

1) I upgraded my father-in-law's "EI" 22.5" to a very clean used "G" code One Touch 22.5" last week for $20 (sold the EI for $10 to a guy who only wanted the lid for his UDS), so I am in for a $10 investment. Kept the newer grates so its like I put the new seats in an old car that wasn't wrecked! :rolleyes: Give me a Weber 22" and I can crush a complete meal...cooked entirely on it. I will always have one until my last breath...and will someday maybe have 2. Up with my Lodge Cast Iron, Le Cruset Dutch Over, and All Clad cookware, the Weber 22.5" is simply one of the best pieces of cooking equipment that I own.

2) The day before the upgrade, I finally scored my WSM. I have been doing homework like crazy. I wanted a nice used one so I scoured Craigslist. So many potential deals I passed/missed on it felt like I was never going to find one. I was leaning toward a used 22.5"WSM but would happily do an 18.5" WSM for the right price. Got an 18.5"WSM for $80 with a bent door and broken latch. Honestly, I probably could have made them work...but decided to a Cajun Bandit Door and Compression Latch. Under $130 for a nearly new WSM with an upgraded door! Can't get much better than that! New door should be here any day. I can't wait to try a pork butt on it. best part is...my dad just got a brand-new 18.5" WSM for his birthday so its like we are on the same learning curve (or perhaps "enrolled" in the same college class at the same time!!!). There are good times ahead!

3) The Ranch Kettle. The Party Bus. The Behemoth. So like most Weber people, they secretly fantasize about having one. Some can afford a new one, most wait forever for a clean used one. Well, the other day, I see an ad for a Weber Ranch in my old stomping grounds for $300. I have to try to jump on this. If I get it great! If I miss it...oh well.

Texted and emailed on it with no response. Decided to call. Gentleman I spoke with was a caterer and told me it was a gift to him which he has never really used. He simply uses other grills for his business, so this one has to go. The reason he wanted to deal with me? Because of the local area of code of my phone number!!

He told me he had been getting calls all day from across the state and because I was local (I'm not really local anymore) and could pick it up in a few hours, he would sell it to me. He sent me some pics....everything looked pretty good! I'm not so local anymore like I said, so I made a phone call. I had a proxy drive over pick it up for me, kindly fronting the money. So how much just did it cost me? Not $300. But, in true BBQ fashion, I traded a piece of "bolt-action hunting equipment" that I was happy to let go of and the other person was more than happy to receive. My trading partner power washed it and delivered it to me as a part of our deal. So after its cleaned up, it looks really nice. The lid has had some light hail/rock damage. Not really pits...more like small chips that aren't rusted. But like I said earlier...I look at Weber's as tools. If down the road it needs to be repainted, I am OK with it.

Everyone, even my wife, was more than thrilled with the swap. We all win. When she saw the Ranch...she didn't say..."oh thats huge/too big/what were you thinking? etc." Rather, she looked at it and then looked at me and said "You know what this means don't you?" "What?" I replied. She slyly responded, "We need to get a big Paella pan to go on top of that grate ;)." Yeah she drives me crazy sometimes, but answers like that make me want to cook all the time! I can see me using this grill at least 6-10 times per year so that I can be justified in keeping it.

Why don't I own others? More space/function than anything else. I have passed on so many Weber deals its crazy. Just today I found two newer 18.5" kettles for $20 (for both!). But I don't need a Weber 18.5;" let alone two! Or I may purchase a second 22.5" rather than hunt for a 26"

If I were to acquire anymore in the future it would probably be:

1) Another 22.5" kettle...backup/supplemental.
2) Sell my 18.5 WSM for a 22.5"WSM (nice thought...but probably not necessary). I think the 18.5 will be great!
3) A Weber Jumbo Joe 18" for camping.

Other than that....I just may pass on deals (or pass them along here!) :cool:

Last edited:
Had a kettle when I moved here. Didn't do much cooking on it. After my accident I got more into it. Mostly I restore. I have at least 20 or so webers. I do switch around using some of them. Red Q220, 22 and 18 kettle, gas and charcoal go anywhere and my mini smoker.

Just two here. Short backstory--First grill I bought, first apartment of my own out of college, was one of those "Aussie Walkabout" folding frame charcoal grills. Not bad for under $50 and it was good for tailgating, until it got stolen after 2 years or so. Then a few years later, I rented a house with my girlfriend (now wife). A friend had a 2005-ish 22" Weber One Touch that he was no longer using so he lent me that, and for Christmas that year a relative gave us an inexpensive gas grill (A Char-Broil IIRC). Got used to having the option of charcoal or gas for the three years I lived there. When we moved to Richmond in 2012, our new place was a small apartment with no place to grill, so they both had to go--sold the char-broil and, having discovered at the last minute that the friend didn't want the One Touch back, reluctantly set it curbside. Whoever picked that up (someone did, it was nowhere near trash day) scored a good condition grill for $free.

Bought a house here in 2015 and decided I could buy one nice grill and wait for the other, or two less expensive "short term" pieces. Decided on one good charcoal grill, and ended up with a 2015 copper Weber Performer Premium. The choice came from a combination of having rather liked the One Touch I had used earlier on, a general impression of good quality from Weber, and the idea that the large work surface, lower storage rack, and swing-out charcoal bin would be useful things to have. Plus I'm a believer that, straight up, food grilled over charcoal tastes better than food grilled over gas. If I could only have one, charcoal was the way to go.

So ever since then, I've casually admired gas grills, as the significant drawback of charcoal is the time and involvement of it. Even with a good chimney starter it's not something you can decide to do on the spur of the moment. Then, last week, a listing popped up on the Nextdoor community for our neighborhood of someone selling a Weber Genesis 1000 for $75. 1998 model by the date code. Seemed like just what I'd been looking for--(originally) a high quality item with some work required to bring up to its full potential. Needs one heck of a cleaning, but everything functions correctly and some parts have been replaced (igniter, bars, burners), and with judicious updates (new grates being likely) and some repainting, I think I've found my gasser for the forseeable future.

When we retired and moved to Arizona I kept my 1999 Weber 1000LX. Having more time on my hands I decided I wanted to try my hand at charcoal grilling and I picked up a 22 silver kettle. I quickly went back to my gasser as the kettle was kind of a hassle to work with and I wasn't getting the results I wanted.
One day Barb and I were yard sale hopping and I saw my first ever performer. I was really blown away with the table and the gas assist, for $40 I thought I'd give charcoal another shot. I was happy with the performer but again not my results.

I decided to see if I could get some guidance from the internet and stumbled onto this forum. I lurked on the forum for a month or so and really learned a lot, my grilling skills improved dramatically.

Also at that time the building of the minis was the big thing. I thought a little smoker might be fun so I built one and was amazed at how well it worked.
At his point we moved again to a house that had a gas bib on the patio, so I watched Craig's list and found a super clean NG E320. Love the fact that I don't have to mess with propane on that one.

I picked up a couple of early genesis gassers and restored them and sold them for a nice profit. With that money I picked up an 18.5 WSM from a guy down the street from me that had been used twice, for a hundred bucks. I used an old genesis frame and made a cart for the WSM and used a side burner from the same and found a jumbo joe at a yard sale for a few bucks and put that on the cart also, sort of like a mini performer with the side burner to light the coals.

The reason we have the gassers and the charcoal grills is due to the fact we are surrounded by dry grasslands and forest. In the summer they place fire restrictions and we can't burn charcoal so at least we have a way to grill and keep the heat out of the house.

It's the forums fault that we have seven grills and smokers and for that Barb and I thank all of you.

Last edited:
I always wanted to grill/BBQ food. No experience as a youth but bought some cheap gassers in my 20's.
Finally decided to get "serious" and bought a Q320. Fell in love with it and Webers customer service. Bought a OTG and WSM and was given a Mastertouch. The rest is history I grill and or smoke as often as possible, I love nothing more than being in my backyard cooking. I want my sons to enjoy the experience and hope they want to continue.

1 genesis 1000 currently on non op
2 summit 6 burner on loan to my parents
3 Blue Gen 2 performer
4 Copper gen 3 performer
5 Copper Gemesis (2016model)
6 14.5 WSM
7 1979 MBH 22.5 kettle hand me down
8 Genesis silver B At the MILs

So we like to have people over and love food always trying something new. Heck I even built a deep pit in my back yard using 24" concrete pipe buried 6' in the ground. But when it comes to grills I took a few lumps before seeing the light. I didn't know you could get a good gas grill. I was of the mind set that Costco or sams club would always take anything back so I would just get a new one every year. I think after about my 4th roll on that I threw my hands up and said enough with that and went and got my Genesis 1000 for $100 at a second hand shop that always has about 20 or so in stock. But everything worked and the darn thing cooked really good too. First thing I noticed and what has been my selling point ever since is the burners don't blow out after 6 months of use. AS of now I am trying to decide what to do with that one as I am contemplating a Pellet conversion using my pellet pro hopper and having a Webger

NExt I decided I was over the whole pellet thing for a while and found a nice performer for a fair price right around the corner from me so it came home. Then walking through Lowes one day I showed my wife the Copper one and she liked that. a few months later I was working night shift and she had the local Ace hardware bring me a new copper performer. I heard about the price cut on the Genesis due to the new model coming out soon so I asked her if I could get one to match and surprisingly she said yeah but something had to go. So that's how my summit ended up at my parents

The Summit I saw in front of a guys garage around the corner from my house so I stopped and knocked on the door. Old guy said it was too big for him and was afraid if he rolled it to the curb he wouldn't be able to roll it back up I could have it. Free!! score replaced 3 crossover tubes and redid the ignitors and had a patio yacht

Got my WSM at walmart last year for $50 so I kinda had to right? Only used it once so far maybe I ll use it again tomorrow

My Silver B I picked up for $60 I am convinced it had never been cleaned since new cool thing was I had a nice matching pair for a while as it was blue like my gen 2 performer now it lives at my mother in laws sporting a black hood I got from a donor grill

The 79 hand me down kettle came from my wifes grandparents house I really only got it because it was my birth year and I haven't used it yet

I admit I am addicted I scour CL daily looking for a deal. I did not include 2-3 parts grills I got for free either. But I just built a silver 3 for my nephew and the boneyard is looking kinda lean so I may need to up my game some

I am patiently waiting to acquire a SCG that is next on the bucket list!

I won't bore you when and where i started just let me say I'm 75 on this monday and i have all below in my Signature .I guess you can say I'm a Fanatic lol
But you learn something new every cook.made a salsa and avocado hamburger and fries with some sarachi sauce :)
jerry C

I had been buying and cooking on cheap $300 gas grills for some years. I always wanted a Weber but didn't want to pay the big bucks. The POS gassers that I was buying from the box stores never lasted more than 3 years. When my last one fell apart I decided I was going to get a Performer, and start cooking with charcoal, this was in Feb of 2016. I had just discovered this forum and realized that Weber's were made for the long haul. I bought the Performer and started cooking away.

After reading about the rehabbed gassers on here I decided I should have a gas Weber as well, just not a new one. I found a Silver A on CL and brought it home to rehab. This one was in such good shape that all I did was repaint the frame. I wanted more of a challenge so I sold the Silver A for more than I paid for it and took on a real rehab project and found a Genesis Gold B that needed some work. I rehabbed this one and found a "Redhead" lid for it. Great grill and it is 15 years old. This is the only gasser I own and it is used for when we are in a hurry and don't have enough time to deal with the charcoal.

I guess I thought I needed more than two Weber's. I wanted to have some of the different size kettles. If I saw something on CL that I didn't have, and was a good deal, I jumped on it. The only Weber that I bought brand new at full retail from a store was the Performer. I have rounded out my collection, for now. To be honest I am running out of space. 1 gasser and 6 charcoal Weber's are good for now, maybe.

Mine is easy.. I have what I have cause I'm cheap.. I take customers scrap grills and cobble together good ones.. Being a tech has its perks :)

When the better half & I moved to an apartment in the mid 90's, we (I) decided to get a grill. Just by chance - or maybe it was small & priced right - bought a smokey Joe. Man! For years I cooked on that grill! Burgers, dogs, chicken, steaks. Rain or shine, several times a week. I'd cook racks of beef ribs which barely fit, for the two of us - plus leftovers - yum! If family/friends came over - boom - tri tip (fit!) on the 'Joe. I don't remember how many times I had to replace the cooking grate - I cooked on it that much. The bolt that holds the legs together & the charcoal tray broke. Replaced it & kept on grilling. The end came in the late 2000's when the rivet for the lower vent gave up. By then, the legs were pretty mangled & the lid was bent from too many drops. I salvaged the wood handle & gave 'ol Joe a (sad) burial in the round file. And immediately bought another one.

Used to take that first grill camping too. Funny story: We went camping in Mammoth lakes. We got the last available campsite, right next to the entrance to the campground. It's a quiet evening just before sunset, we are getting settled in. I had cooked up a rack of beef ribs on the 'Joe & we had just sat down, when a tour bus pulls up next to our campsite. The door opens, a man steps out, looks around & gets back on the bus. A second later, he steps back out, followed by a bus load of people... & leads them directly to our dinner/picnic table. We had just sat down, I hadn't even cut the ribs yet! And this Mob of 30 plus people, has literally surround our table! What the ____?!? The man - a tour guide - is explaining something about camping to all these people, & asks us if "we made enough for everyone?" Holy $=/+! No! After a few oooh's & aaah's, "smells goods" & "looks goods", they all got back on the bus... And left us stunned!

The gasser: Went camping. Big Bear this time. Late summer/early fall. Little did we know that there would be fire restrictions. No charcoal Bbq's, no campfires. Had some curry shrimp marinating in a zip lock in the cooler & no way to bbq it. We drove around the lake to every shop, store, market & outhouse looking for a gas grill. Got the same answer every place that sold grills - they'd sold or sent back their last grill the weekend before - end of the season. We wound up frying the shrimp in a pan on our camp stove. It rained that night. Everything was wet & cold the next morning, but still not allowed to have a fire to warm up/dry out by. That afternoon, a thunderstorm hit. We'd never been through that before & having no experience, retreated to the tent as soon as a rain started. The storm was insane. Loud. We sat in the tent hoping lightning or one of the big trees didn't get us. The campground turned into a muddy river & I watched my shoes float away. During a lull, we went & talked to the Ranger. He told us there was another storm on the way & no, no fires would be permitted that night. You never saw 2 people pack up so quickly! So, short story long, I bought a portable gas grill before the next time we went camping!

The kettle & the performer: I had inherented a Meco from my better halves uncle when he passed. I'd guess it was from the late 70's-early 80's. It was a fairly square grill with a hinged lid & 2 handles on the front of the grill for raising/lowering the coal grate. It served him well & was serving me well when my parents bought me a 22 weber silver kettle. I honestly didn't know what to do with the new kettle. It didn't take long before a fire was lit under me (see what I did there? Hehe) & I wanted to learn more than burgers & chicken. I stumbled onto this site & another "amazing" site & have learned alot. I'd never heard of a performer before visiting this site. Eventually I found a green SS performer with a rotisserie on Craigslist. After getting the performer, the Meco went to the curb & within the hour was gone - hopefully to a good home & hopefully is still being used. The weber kettle is set up for low & slow with a firebrick now. It needs a cleaning but smells oh so wonderful when I open it.
Even though it's just the 2 of us, the performer is my goto. It's that convenient. I haven't used the smokey since buying the performer.
I'd love to have a wsm. But Bbq'ing on the kettle turns out some great, extremely easy food. Maybe one day I'll get a wsm - if the right deal comes along...

Have a great Memorial day everybody. If you got em, smoke em!

Let's see, I have 3 smokers ( 18" WSM, 14.5" WSM, and a mini WSM that I built) and a 22" Performer Deluxe with gas assist. It depends on what I'm cooking/smoking at the time on which one I use. The Performer gets used the most. The smokers get used on the weekends/holidays.

I got a fair amount of grills, but only 2 webers :rolleyes:

I bought a 14.5" WSM last year as I wanted to do more than only cold smoking. I would have liked an 18", but they were just way too expensive, so figured I better start out with the more affordable smaller one, and I am glad I did.

I have a very old 18" kettle. Found it on the scrap heap. It had no more legs, some dents and rust.
I found a way to put legs on it, closed the holes with washers and nuts and bolts and she is now my "go to" kettle.
I bought a rotisserie ring for it and that was a welcome addition...
(I do have a 22.5" Cadac (heresy...) which is great for bigger groups, but if it's just a few of you, it just uses to much charcoal)

When I was growing up we had a red Weber kettle that I learned to cook on. Loved that thing! Sometime in my teens my dad got rid of the evil charcoal and bought some clean burning propane grill with lava rocks. That gasser never seemed to produce food with the same flavor profile as that Weber Kettle. When I bought my first house, I ran right down to the box store and bought a brand new 22.5 kettle. I used this for a few years until I saw a last year model Genesis Gold C on clearance that I just had to buy. I still have both these grills but the 22.5 has been relegated to pizza duty with addition of the KettlePizza and the Genesis, while it still works just like new, it just doesn't get used anymore. I use my $50 craigslist Performer the most. I built a Mini WSM that I use for camping or smoking a rack o' ribs here and there. Two years ago I found a Ranch Kettle on CL which I use for larger parties and/or when I want to cook with cast iron. Love the space on the RK! Recently I added a 36" Blackstone griddle and a large BGE.

The interesting and funny stories of how I got my grills all belong to my ex-husband. I just got them in our divorce. The Performer is my favorite story - we had stopped in a True Value or Ace that was going out of business and they had it for sale and deeply discounted. My ex - who is a really big dude - practically threw himself on it when he saw it and made me stand guard next to it as he hustled to the register to buy it. He then drove home to take the seats out of the van, again leaving me to guard His Precious until he was able to come back and load it. LOL I can hardly remember a time seeing him more excited, including when we adopted our children.

I bought him the Genesis Silver as a gift one summer because he wanted a gas grill. And the WSM was a Christmas present. He had wanted one for so long and I tracked one down, drove over an hour from home to pick it up for him (into Chicago traffic which I was NOT accustomed to driving in at the time). I was so thrilled to be giving it to him and made the mistake of playing "you'll never guess what you are getting for Christmas" game with him and he threw it out as a guess. I was absolutely crushed - and I have NO poker face so I am sure he knew something was up - but he really did not think I had gotten it for him. Kind of blew the wind out of my sails, let me tell you.

I'll skip over the Dark Time of our divorce as no one wants to hear about that and end on a high note. The grills have been neglects quite a lot but they were built to last and I am in the process of restoring them. I use them all just about every week. My family never grilled with charcoal so I taught myself that and I have taught myself about smoking. My oldest daughter, now 17, wants to cold smoke some salmon and we both want to make some cheese and cold smoke that as well so those two things are on the project list. I enjoy cooking so grilling and bbq seems to be a natural extension of that. I also started to get into outdoor Dutch Oven cooking and have several of those as well. I am having a patio put in at my house I bought last summer and I am really looking forward to setting up my outdoor kitchen area. My concrete contractor is hoping I'll make lunch for him and his crew. :)

As for my ex and I we now are quite amicable. He has come to my home several times to grill with our daughters for various occasions as we live several hours away from each other. Last fall while lurking here, I saw the posts about the little WSMs going on sale for as low as $50 so I headed out and found one for him, floor model and missing the door, but we ordered it and they sent us a bonus oven mitt too. We stashed everything until Dec and my daughters surprised him with it for Christmas. As his apartment has a very small deck this is perfect for him. I again got the tip here about using the Weber table for the 14.5" so I think we are getting him the little Weber table for Father's day so he can raise it up a bit for his cooks.

Similar to Pat, I had done the cheap grill route for a bunch of years when my parents decided to upgrade to a new Weber and asked me to help them throw out their 2005 or so Genesis Silver. I promptly threw it in the back of my truck, replaced the grates, bars and burners and it did me well for quite a few years. Decided to treat myself to an upgrade last year and purchased a new Genesis Silver. After beating the crap out of a Masterbuilt electric smoker, I did a bunch of homework and found this board and the WSM. I'm still waiting to buy my WSM, but in the meantime found a 2012 Grass Green Performer never used on Craigslist that I picked up a couple of weeks ago. So I'm up to 2, with a 3rd on the way at some point.

I feel like the baby of the group, having fewer setups than all of you.

I have a Weber Genesis 1000; a platinum kettle; a Jumbo Joe; a WSM (18.5); and a Camp Chef propane smoker. The Genesis was the first Weber grill I purchased. I got the kettle back in 2011 or thereabouts in an effort to recapture that smoky aroma that permeated all the barbecues that I remember as a kid. I got the WSM because I was reading about barbecue v grilling, and I wanted to start doing real barbecue. I got the Jumbo Joe to use for travelling (we still haven't gotten around to doing any travelling). Finally, I got the propane smoker to use during inclement weather so I wouldn't have to fiddle with charcoal in the rain.

I'm still in the process of learning what my equipment can do -- I did invest in an IQ110 and a Redi-Chek 733. I'm looking at pellet grills, and one of the Weber Q grills -- the direction I take depends on whether I decide to scale up or scale down.

Why do I have what I have?
1. Genesis Silver C: gasser so the wife can grill.
2. Performer: My go-to grill for just about everything.
3. Smoke EZ for the Performer: Gives me a 22.5" smoker.
4. 18" WSM: Hardly use it anymore since I have the Smoke EZ. Still use it for small smokes.
5. Jumbo Joe: My go-to portable.

Back