Judge Comment: "Bad Smoke" ???

MikeBatt

Just curious here. Entered a backyard comp recently and my results were quite bad..:mad: ...but ammo to try harder and figure out what went wrong (whatever is not already obvious to me).

One of the judge comment cards said "so bitter just like bad smoke" - what might this mean? Is there a common bitterness issue with "bad smoke" and how do you end up with "bad smoke"? What are common bitterness problem sources outside too many/much bitter rub/sauce ingredients?

My guess (and remember, that's all it is: a guess) is that there was too much.

In my initial starts, I found that the product sometimes tasted "like an ashtray". Maybe the judge(s) were being diplomatic?

So many things could of happened that unimpressed that one judge.
Personal tastes ( cause we all have different tolerances to smoke flavor)
Like Len said too much wood at the beginning or bad wood or a not clean burning fire or to much paprika in the rub etc etc.
I only try to impress my family, and if I'm happy with it, most of the times they are.
OBTW welcome to the board:wsm:

Tim

Just curious here. Entered a backyard comp recently and my results were quite bad..:mad: ...but ammo to try harder and figure out what went wrong (whatever is not already obvious to me).

One of the judge comment cards said "so bitter just like bad smoke" - what might this mean? Is there a common bitterness issue with "bad smoke" and how do you end up with "bad smoke"? What are common bitterness problem sources outside too many/much bitter rub/sauce ingredients?

All i can think of is thick grey smoke bellowing out of a smoker burning wet or just smoldering wood. Using the WSM, the only way i can think of getting drity smoke would be to put the meat on AS soon as the fire is lit, and not giving the fire time to settle in and clean up some.

Then again, like said above could be anythign w/ judges. Maybe just TOO much smoke. OOO are you MAYBE using mesquite wood? Too much smoke from mesquite can get bitter on you REAL quick.
Just some thoughts.

rb

Thanks for all the input folks. I brought hickory and mesquite that weekend don't recall what I used for sure but knowing the mesquite issue is very helpful. I may have also not let it burn off a bit....in fact I know I didn't. My chunks were quite old too if that matters....I don't think I over smoked because I learned that lesson a few years ago and am always one to preach it to friends just getting in to smoking.

I think just not knowing what each judge wants or likes that day is the tough part but that's obvious I guess. I had other issues like dry ribs which contributed to my low scores but I know how to handle that and sometimes I just mess up....the bitter bad smoke comment had me scratching my head. Hell, it was a fun day anyway.

Hi Mike,

If I may, treat the smoke as if it's just another ingredient. Don't over do it. Think Balance !

... I think just not knowing what each judge wants or likes that day is the tough part but that's obvious I guess ...
I can only speak as a 50+ pro contest kcbs certified master bbq judge.. We judges try our level best to not have any preconceived notions. To do otherwise goes against the true spirit of bbq !

... it was a fun day anyway.
This is what it's about !!! I would add Family to that !!!

Last edited:
Hi Mike,

If I may, treat the smoke as if it's just another ingredient. Don't over do it. Thank Balance !

I can only speak as a 50+ pro contest kcbs certified master bbq judge.. We judges try our level best to not have any preconceived notions. To do otherwise goes against the true spirit of bbq !

I was hoping Bob would weigh in. I'm a newly certified KCBS judge and looking for input from someone with some real experience.

Hi Mike,

If I may, treat the smoke as if it's just another ingredient. Don't over do it. Thank Balance !

Thank you very much Bob!

You know those times when you can stick your nose up close to your smoker, waft your hands above it drawing that pleasing sweet smell of smoke in towards you ? Then there are those other times when you duck away from the smoker as what's coming out of it gets your eyes watering and makes you cough/choke ? Good smoke vs. bad smoke.

As CBJs, we're cautioned against providing feedback in which we diagnose the problem. For example, I would not have said "bad smoke", I would have said, "Did not like bitter flavor" and leave it up to you to figure out what happened and how to adjust.

Just a rookie opinion here, but in my experimentation with bad smoke (creosote), I can tell if I am making bad smoke by viewing a yellowish color on the top grill. A quick swipe of the grill with my finger allows me to taste and confirm if it's bad smoke. Of course, if creosote is present on the grill, then chances are good that white smoke will be present too (as Rusty mentioned). I solved my problem for the time being by burring my wood deep in the coals.

The again, maybe you already know this, but I thought I would give you my 2 cents worth.

Back