5 vs 13 flavorizer bars?

Andrew K.

Hey all,

Since this doesn't directly relate to my other thread (help with/about a grill rebuild I'm doing), and can't seem to find the answers I seek through searching, I figured I'd post a separate thread about this.

I noticed that the grill I am fixing up (Genesis B) uses the 5 flavorizer bar setup, but that earlier Genesis grills used 13 bars, and had a different (deeper) cookbox.

What are the big differences between 5 bar and 13 bar models? Do the 13 bar models hold heat better/prevent flare-ups better? Was going to 5 bars mostly a cost-cutting move from Weber? Or is there not a huge difference between the two?

I've had both, and currently use the 13 bar model. Much like Yeti coolers, I feel that Weber had overengineered early on, and the deep box models offer more consistent heat retention. I didn't notice a huge difference, only subtle, but I'll take it. I prefer the 13 bar deep box, but I almost don't know why.

Slainte!

I also have owed both and still own a 13 bar, my experience is that the 13 bar seems to have better heat distribution, but the biggest difference I found was the deep box has way fewer flare ups than the shallow box especially with greasy type foods.
Other than that not much difference between them.

I currently own both setups. I agree the 13 bar system flares up a little less. But my 5 bar genesis heats up a little faster.

I like them both.

Back