Guess who got a new bike yesterday........

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I haven't had a street bike since 2000 when I sold my 1997 honda magna (750cc, 4cyl) because I had to rent a warehouse (($$$ was tight)), had a 1983 Yamaha Midnight Maxim 750, 4cyl before that.

This one's a whole new beast @ ~750+? #........ it's a whole lot of fun to ride though!

I test drove only a few, what got me going was over the last several years I kept saying I'd just get an 1100cc cruiser (I'd love a sport bike but probably not a great idea.....maybe later after I've had more experience on one, but I have a twitchy right (throttle) wrist. There was a bike that was for sale last year that I stopped & looked at, I drove past it once, it wasn't there when I went back so I pulled up the classifieds. Badda boom, badda-bing - new motorcycle in my driveway 2 days later.

I test drove one with loud pipes - it was pretty cool - felt like I was leaving a smoke trail of energy behind me. I don't want too obnoxious, and my neighbor with a 1200 sportster said they run a dowel up the pipe so they can't be "straight" (no baffles), but I think I found a good compromise pair.

Here it is not long after I bought it - I rode it with the other guys tags for a few hours - even made an in-person sales call (((a ....mildly.... successful one at that))) on it just before this pic so I gtt a ~$15 mileage write off :)

tmi no doubt

18664264_10209390753267701_7985587220305447058_n.jpg

I scratched the front fender on the XR's rear rotor..........had to clean the garage tonight over the last 2-3 hours.

18620127_10209399418284321_4662331170829338539_n.jpg

18670993_10209399418044315_51825301221886180_n.jpg

btw, it's a 2012 FLD Switchback 103

Good for you Clint. Mid life crisis (again)? :) . I'm having my own (it's lasted a year so far and is ongoing :) )so I know that feeling. Too bad about the scratch too. I know that feeling as well.

But at least, no more worries about keeping her "perfect" now ;)

That's a nice looking bike Clint, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, drive safe.

I've had tons of bikes, last one was a 1986 GL 1200 Honda Aspencade it was a beautiful cruiser. Sold it when we left California for Arizona. My intent was to buy a Harley bagger of some sort but it never came to be and now knocking on 70 don't think I want to take the chance anymore.

Milwaukee's Finest! Just don't drink Milwaukee's finest before riding. Wish that I could still ride, but my balance now say's "no way".

Rich,

I'll give your pedal bike some love. I just bought my first road bike and I love it. It's a 2011 Specialized Allez Comp. The previous owner barely used it, there were under 100 miles on the odometer.

I'm flying along the bike trails outside of Raleigh now.

Jim

Nice ride!

Check it out, Clint, if you're ever in the area...

http://tailofthedragon.com/

I'd love to! There's one in American Fork canyon called The Alpine Loop that's pretty cool - too windy to get any speed, narrow too...... I've ridden thousands of miles of singletrack up there, the road just several times. I hope to ride it tomorrow night with my cousin who I used to ride with 20 years ago.....he picked up an R1 (1000cc bullet bike) yesterday......watched his front tire come up a couple inches a couple times yesterday. I took him on a ride that I thought he'd like (twisty) and he went faster than I'd ever seen anyone go before. I just kept saying please don't be wrecked every time I came around a corner or peeked above a knoll.

Good for you Clint. Mid life crisis (again)? :) . I'm having my own (it's lasted a year so far and is ongoing :) )so I know that feeling. Too bad about the scratch too. I know that feeling as well.

But at least, no more worries about keeping her "perfect" now ;)

my entire life has been a crisis ;)

That's a nice looking bike Clint, I'm sure you're going to enjoy it, drive safe.

I've had tons of bikes, last one was a 1986 GL 1200 Honda Aspencade it was a beautiful cruiser. Sold it when we left California for Arizona. My intent was to buy a Harley bagger of some sort but it never came to be and now knocking on 70 don't think I want to take the chance anymore.

my old man is a few years older than you - I hope he wants to ride it, he was encouraging when I texted him a pic or two before and after. No telling, but he might enjoy it.

Milwaukee's Finest! Just don't drink Milwaukee's finest before riding. Wish that I could still ride, but my balance now say's "no way".

I admit, 2 days ago I had 3 & went for a ride & it loosened me up a bit. My first burnout I had to have a few, my first backflip (on a trampoline), I've had to have a few before I dared jump into water - but good advice!!! No more than that...need to be safe. My balance can be a bit off every now & then since ~2013 but I call it vertigo. My coordination & performance doesn't suffer, hope that doesn't change.

Rich,

I'll give your pedal bike some love. I just bought my first road bike and I love it. It's a 2011 Specialized Allez Comp. The previous owner barely used it, there were under 100 miles on the odometer.

Jim

I might have the same bike! It's a specialized allez, I bought it used from my cousin about this time of year in 2013/2014. I only wish I'd have got a large, and I wish it had disc brakes.

I'm off to shop for helmets and to get some clear coat repair. I'd better stop ordering upgrades - I've already got some pipes coming, a power programmer / tuner, grips, and some zombie levers (clutch/brake) :)

14763kur1047nch9.jpg

Could be Clint. What color is your bike? I got white with blue accents. Looks like the stripes on a GT40.

My frame is 54cm which is on the small end, but pretty close to how I set up for Spin class.

Could be Clint. What color is your bike? I got white with blue accents. Looks like the stripes on a GT40.

My frame is 54cm which is on the small end, but pretty close to how I set up for Spin class.

Mine looks just like this (2007):

IMG_2101-5.jpg

I need to take it in for a tune-up again - I've been riding my mtb (2007 stump jumper) a little, I lost quite a bit of my aerobic conditioning with the extra weight I put on while lifting----I sprained my ankle on Monday, not bad but bad enough I didn't lift at all this week. Thinking of starting up some LSD/MSD/HSD to get my cardio back up & maybe stop lifting until next fall/winter. I did a MTB ride last Saturday & it almost killed me.

***had my first run in with the law this evening - I went up some twisty canyons & as I'm riding up along the 2nd lake I get pulled over. I asked "was I speeding, I thought it was 50/55mph" - he said yeah I got you at 65, I was like "oh" (that's all?). He knew the exact model of my bike, asked how long I've been riding "since I was 8", OK well watch out for deer.

this is the 2nd time I've been let off a speeding ticket (this wasn't legit!), last time (last year I think) I asked the LEO "I don't suppose you're going to let me off with a warning" (he did), "I even knew you were there" "what did you use to measure my speed?"

Last edited:
Motorcycles can be fun but you need to be tuned in at all times. Not knowing your speed at all times can get you in trouble fast. Never mind the cops. Never let your mind wander from what you are doing.

Clint

That's way too fast for me on 2 skinny wheels, or was that on your motorcycle?

Those are high-end bikes (for me). I never thought I'd buy something with a MSRP over a grand until I found a bargain on CL.

I've lost 25 pounds since February and it makes bike riding a pleasure, even going up hills. My SmartScale says I'm losing muscle mass, but I really feel great. You may want to follow though on the cardio concentration over the summer.

Jim

Last edited:
Motorcycles can be fun but you need to be tuned in at all times. Not knowing your speed at all times can get you in trouble fast. Never mind the cops. Never let your mind wander from what you are doing.

That's true! one of the best things about riding, same with dirt bikes, is the thoughts all turn off & I'm living in the moment - that's hard to achieve in my normal life....... the occasional adrenaline rushes aren't too bad either :) I hope the louder pipes I ordered won't draw the police more to me. I have a radar detector in each vehicle I drive, haven't figured out how to put one on the bike yet. I don't go much more than 5-15 over (max) (usually 8-10mph, even on the bikes), but I figure if they're watching for me I should watch for them. When I had my old street bikes I'd say "always have an out, no matter what anyone does" I did pretty good with that, but I had 2 situations where I didn't (1 was mild/slow, nothing happened but I had no options, the other was high speed, tight barricades 2 lanes no shoulders, & I was lane split passing 2 cars & we 3 rolled into a turn that I didn't see coming up (in 1999/2000 iirc) - that could've been bad - I just held - I looked at my left handlebar, it was about a foot from the cars fender on my left, watched my front tire, was about a foot from the car's front tire on the right - the road straightened out & I got off the freeway & stopped at a nearby friends house to process that. I can almost still see it.

this 750# beast is different than I'm used to but I'm getting used to it.

Clint

That's way too fast for me on 2 skinny wheels, or was that on your motorcycle?

Those are high-end bikes (for me). I never thought I'd buy something with a MSRP over a grand until I found a bargain on CL.

I've lost 25 pounds since February and it makes bike riding a pleasure, even going up hills. My SmartScale says I'm losing muscle mass, but I really feel great. You may want to follow though on the cardio concentration over the summer.

Jim

I get a little puckered when I hit 42-44mph on the bicycle - both of the frames (dirt/road) are mediums & I wish I'd have got large - I feel like a roomier cockpit & a slightly longer wheelbase would help with speed & downhill (road & dirt) comfort (slightly slower reaction compared but I'm used to throwing around 225-315# motos in the whoops). I was looking @ 27.5 mountain bikes last week,,, got a feeling I'll be stuck on my old for at least a couple more years. My next road bicycle will have disc brakes----the ones that are on it are buttery (not a good quality for brakes) in the rain.

Great looking bike Clint. I've only had one and I still have it. 68 Triumph Bonneville 650.

Pictures! that looks fun.

Last edited:
Rich,

Jim

I used to ride a 2005 Allez Elite before this one. Put a ton of miles on it, and made a foreign exchange student very happy when I sold it to him at a great price, and even threw in my old shoes that happened to fit him.

Clint, I did about the same speed coming down the backside of one of the Cascasdes climbs I did on a week long Canadian tour when I was sixteen. Still not sure how it didn't occur to me that a non-professional teenager on 1" tires with caliper brakes probably shouldn't have been passing cars on a 7% down grade (with turns) at 65+!! Of course, at that age, I was invincible! :)

Enjoy your ride, and (as I'm sure you already know), just assume that nobody out there can see you! ;)

R

That is way too fast & I bet you weren't even using Armadillo Elites!

I did a bunch of work to the bike, Thursday night / friday morning I put on the pipes, Friday afternoon I did grips & brake/clutch levers, then today I added driving lights & moved the turn signals.

Old pipes:
18814172_10209477344112418_5003595053403275603_n.jpg

New pipes ('scuse the mess - it was late & I was tired----all that newspaper was how the pipes came packaged):
18813895_10209477343552404_8930710559108996243_n.jpg

New grips & levers:
18814399_10209477342792385_3411866611935101639_n.jpg

before:
18881810_10209477343312398_561587331042631712_n.jpg

After:
18839337_10209477342992390_284712898077094740_n.jpg

Nice looking bike Clint , like the upgrades, be careful my friend.

My bike of choice now, short bike ride going bodysurfing.

KBErKeqh.jpg

Im a survivor of a nasty 3/4 ton truck VS rice rocket crash.

Back