Options for indirect cooking with 22" Kettle

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
I'm going to smoke a pork butt this weekend on the kettle I just bought. Since I don't have time to get a smokenator or Slow n Sear shipped before the weekend, I'm wondering what the best ways to cook indirect would be. I was thinking about using fire bricks to seperate the coals from the meat. Does anyone have any other methods they like?

Matt...

Using the Minion Method with fire bricks to separate will work. Otherwise, (if going low temp) you might want to try the Snake Method.

Wishing you an Enjoyable and Delicious BBQ'd pork butt !

Agreed with Bob. Two zone. Three zone is just too hot. I would use charcoal sparingly, adding lit charcoal as needed (which will be alot)

I've done it with a Vortex flipped over with the big opening facing up. Made a snake around it. Worked well. I know you didn't mention a Vortex but I thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Like this.

I've smoked a butt a few times using this recipe: https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/pork/pulled-pork-barbecue-with-hot-pepper-vinegar-sauce. I didn't make the sauce to top it with, just used the rub. Per the recipe, I just did it over indirect medium heat (set up was half the coals on either side of an aluminum foil drip pan that I bought from the grocery store) adding new unlit briquets as needed. The recipe doesn't say anything about adding wood chips, so I found another recipe that said to start adding the chips about halfway through the cook. So, that's what I did. Cook time was right around 3.5 hours. The pork developed a beautiful bark and I was able to shred it very easily with two forks. It was nice and tender and juicy; the wife and nieces loved it.

Honestly, though, I'm pretty inexperienced when it comes to smoke. So, I can't say whether it will turn out more tender using the snake method above.

As Bob, and Chock said is a good solid way to cook slow and low. You can even add to it by foiling the car local grate up to the bricks to control air flow better .
Works like a slow and sear would.
Good luck let's us know how this worked out for you.

Don't forget to cover the unused part of the coal grate in foil. This prevents cold air from mixing with the hot air causing the temps to get all wonky.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up leaving town and only has room for my wsm so I didn't get to try out the kettle yet. But my first ever pork butt cook turned out great. Moist, maybe a little over done but just made pulled pork sandwiches so it was ok.

For forty years I simply used baskets! It's not that hard. Honestly, I have done two large butts with simple center vacant, full baskets, six fist size pieces of cherry, touch off the chimney, drop the butts on, close the lid, close thebottom down to half and LEAVE IT ALONE, for about four hours (until the bone pulls), double foil, towel, cooler. PM me if you are curious.

Back