WSM lid sticks due to buildup!

This may be a silly question.

About two weeks ago I got a new 22.5" WSM. I have cooked on it for twice (12+ Hrs. each time) and have buildup which causes the lid to stick to the center section. Is this normal? After the last time I used it I put a little Crisco around the lid after it cooled. During the course of using it, it does not stick as bad due to the temperature. Any suggestions? Should I not put the Crisco on it? I cleaned it after the first use and tried to remove some of the buildup. Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

It happens, it took my unit more cooks than 2 to get it though. I've left mine alone as it doesn't bother me too much but I'm sure it will at some point. I'd not add more lard to it but try and clean the lips with warm water and soap or some simple green, or vinegar.

Hey welcome to the board Justin!
If you use water then the lid will stick occasionally. It kinda steam cleans the lid and the residue ( when dried ) acts like glue.
Wiping down the lip with vinegar and hot water will take care of it.

Tim

Mine sticks almost like glue when it's cold, then rather like chewing gum when it's hot, I thought the seal was not really a bad thing, less air intrusion. I might make up a little bowl of vinegar and water to wipe the rim with, or not.

Mine does this occasionally also. Problem is, I can only clean off the lid lip because I installed a gasket on the center section.

It's quite a (bad) surprise when trying to lift the lid and it doesn't budge. I've learned to give my lid a twist/spin (an unscrewing motion), to break the seal before attempting to lift it off.

Welcome to the forum.

Back