New poster old site browser/user! Need help or recs for 6 pork butts on one cook

ScottC

First off, this site is great and I've gone from having an entry 18.5 WSM (in addition to my 18.5 kettle) to a 22.5 WSM and a large BGE (got a steal of a deal and couldn't resist)!. I gave my sister in Austin my 18.5 WSM and she is now using the site and getting great results for her tailgates.

To my current dilemma - I need to have 6 costco pork butts done (call it 50lbs) done this Friday by 3PM to allow for resting and pulling. I'm considering doing all 6 in the 22.5 WSM, but also thinking due to time limitations of putting two on BGE and rest on my WSM.

If I did 225-250 on WSM do I really need 1.5-2/hr lb? Seems crazy long, but logical due to the heat sink issue. Has anyone cooked 6 or more on the 22 WSM that could provide any insight? Weather will be nice and not a factor.

Any help dialing in the start time would be greatly appreciated.

I have both but have only done 6 -10#ers on the 18.5" and it was tight. I went higher like 275 and was closer to an hour a pound ,but I foil when I like the color, prolly close to the stall.

Tim

Used the Mr. Brown recipe and plan on mopping 1 or 2X. Didn't know how to hold this many at one time, so I improvised with a new thoroughly washed 5 gal bucket! Worked great and will keep for future food use only. Plan on 21 hours min on the 22 with a foiled pan only. 3 butts per rack and each are about 7-7.5lbs each (boneless). I'll likely not tie them to increase their surface area. Foiling around 15 hrs and will let rest for 1.5-2.5 hrs depending on how fast I hit the internal temp target. My go to wood is pecan (larger split quarters about 8 inches in length). I'll keep you guys posted.

unnamed_zpsgm1dawbp.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I've done as many as eight butts in a 22.5. It was several years ago, so I can't recall any details of the cook, but I do remember that everyone loved the result.

BD

First off, this site is great and I've gone from having an entry 18.5 WSM (in addition to my 18.5 kettle) to a 22.5 WSM and a large BGE (got a steal of a deal and couldn't resist)!. I gave my sister in Austin my 18.5 WSM and she is now using the site and getting great results for her tailgates.

To my current dilemma - I need to have 6 costco pork butts done (call it 50lbs) done this Friday by 3PM to allow for resting and pulling. I'm considering doing all 6 in the 22.5 WSM, but also thinking due to time limitations of putting two on BGE and rest on my WSM.

If I did 225-250 on WSM do I really need 1.5-2/hr lb? Seems crazy long, but logical due to the heat sink issue. Has anyone cooked 6 or more on the 22 WSM that could provide any insight? Weather will be nice and not a factor.

Any help dialing in the start time would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Scott!

That's a good question. I've never used the 22.5" model before, but I would allow at least 24 hours for smoking, resting, and shredding. I have done 4 butts in the 18.5" model using this time frame with good results. Actually, you'll need an additional 12 hours for prepping and seasoning beforehand too - maybe more with 6 butts.

Back