WSM HELP w/ Water Pan

GeraldCurry

TVWBB Fan
I have many Weber products, and use all but i have a question about the water pan. After many cooks i decided to change my ways of coking and try with out the WATER ? I hear others here use sand instead . my questions are .Water does the sand do other then absorb heat as opposed ti the water. I understand that the water is constantly reheated and use more coals.Sand being less costs. But that also needs to be heated so i assume less use of coals. Being the sand doesn't evaporate and stays constant heat. My real question is what type sand is Best (PLAY SAND)and will that heat eventually damage the bottom of the WATER PAN.Any alternatives .I appreciate any input

jerry C

I stopped using water years ago. Instead, I made a "Piedmont Pan"* from a Brinkmann charcoal pan I already had, and the Weber water pan (the old-style, shallow one). The two pans are separated by an air gap of about 1 inch at the top, and I don't put anything in the pan (I do line it with foil for easier clean-up). This arrangement does not provide any thermal mass which people say helps to dampen changes in the cooking temperature (I'm skeptical about the value of water, sand, or anything else for this purpose), but it does shield the meat from the direct radiant heat of the fire and keeps the fat drippings from burning in the pan.

But to address your question: if you want to use sand in your Weber pan, I doubt you'd see any difference between play sand and any other type of sand (if you buy cheaper construction-type sand you may need to wash it), or pea gravel for that matter. I doubt the heat will harm your water pan. My Brinkmann pan sits inches above the burning charcoal, and there is nothing inside it at all, and it has lasted many years without any sign of damage.

*http://virtualweberbullet.com/piedmontpan.html

I'm with Chris. As a matter of fact, I learned to foil the pan (top and bottom, from Chris's video. Not a plug, just fact.

I prefer water in foil because it really helps me with my clean up. After smoking, I clean my grates by scraping the debris into the pan then scoop the ashes in it to soak up the remaining water (making an ash mud). I bring the foil "seams" together in the middle (added strength) and finish folding the foil (left over right/right over left, your choice) before folding in the top and bottom. It makes a nice little "pillow" that I just slide into the empty charcoal bag for the trash man. I finish up by washing the pan and re-foiling it for the next time.

I know a lot of people use sand, but I'm not familiar with the process. Do they toss it out after every use, scoop the clumped sand out (like kitty litter), or just leave it there?

Thanks guys i usually anal when comes to my BBQ i clean after every cook and have covers for all my webers and i have a few lol But like chris and few stated really don't need water or sand i use the deflector and have done well. so ill stay with the non sand or water
jerry

Most pro WSM users skip sand and water and just cook with an empty water pan, just using it as a heat deflector. Personally, I always use water for low & slow cooking, no water for hot & fast cooking.

Same here. I may go completely waterless one day, but not for now.

Folks try sand thinking it will add some "thermal inertia", buffering against potential quick changes in temperature. It's unnecessary. An empty foiled pan works great from a temperature perspective.

waterless has been a revelation for me, i'm in the UK where its cold and windy, my charcoal consumption has halved.
Just start a small fire and build upto your cooking temperature slow (275f) or you will over shoot.
The fat from the meat hitting the pan and flavouring the meat is awesome, I open the lid every hour and spritz as well.
Brisket from the other week, love this smoker
DCHms3LXgAERAeC.jpg

Back