When using SJG, charcoal basket or not?

Dennis - CurlyQ

Well I just spent 2 days reading through both of those mini wsm main threads. I'm going to start my build this week. One thing I couldn't keep straight after going through thousands of posts is, have you found that the mini needs a charcoal basket when you use a SJG instead of a SJS?

Hi Dennis, welcome to the Forums! You will love the Mini, they're great little Smokers. I have built four of them now over the last 2-3 years, 2 SJS one of which is mine, & 2 SJG. I use an expanded metal basket in mine and like it. From what I've observed with the SJG they seem to run at lower temps with the air entering from the side and circulating more over the top of the coals, and the coals/ash can build up against the vents. I think the gold could benefit from one because a basket creates a gap between the side of the SJ and the basket/coals allowing air to come in and move all the way around the diameter of the basket. I'm no expert at all, just my 2cent thought. Good luck and post lots of pictures of your build!

Thanks for the info. I'll just head over to lowes then and get the expanded steel. The more nearby ACE only had galvanized.
I'm looking forward to the build. I have nearly everything. I'll post some pics!

I have found that using a charcoal basket in the mini-wsm increases fuel burn time. Another advantage is you can snuff the fire, then shake the ash off any unspent fuel and just add to it for your next cook. If you remove the bottom from the tamale pot you can over fill the basket for longer smokes.

Back