Mold

I have had to do this a couple of times. Depending on how much mold there is, remove as much of it, physically, as you can using a wire brush, a cloth and mild bleach/detergent solution, or whatever else you want to use. Then build a good hot fire inside - two or three greasy pizza boxes work really well - with all the vents open, and the lid partially off (to create gaps around the lid to let more air in for a hotter fire). After everything cools down, clean out the ash and soot and (optionally) wash the inside again. To avoid mold in the future, don't ever leave water in the water pan after a cook (I don't use water in the pan any more, so that has eliminated what had been my main problem). If the WSM is outside and exposed to rain, keep a cover on it. If you use the Weber cover, be aware that the seams are not sealed and will leak some so you should (1) seal the seams, and/or (2) put a big plastic garbage bag over the WSM before you put the cover on, and/or (3) turn the middle section upside down when not using the WSM so water will run off the outside, rather than running inside. And even with all of this, if you have heavy rains (like we have had for what seems to be the last two weeks) then check inside the WSM for any accumulated water. If you keep the inside dry you should not have any more mold problems.

Many thanx to those Forum Members that replied to my "MOLD" situation. I have since fired-up my WSM a couple to times and with a little "elbow grease" the Mold situation is now under control.

I have my WSM stationed in a covered open-air carport and the weather pattern presently here in San Jose, Costa Rica is bright hot sun in the AM and heavy rains which begin in the early PM, so, there is lots of humidity.

Also, if you use the cover it came with: don't. It'll trap whatever is in there and prevent air circulation.

Right.. i threw my cover it came with out years ago..ill take a little dust over trapped moisture any day. The grates can rust also.

Back