Is this a Summit? (what year range?)

That looks like it's in pretty good shape. Keep in mind the front of the firebox is notorious for rust and flavor. Ads are not cheap for these. Kinda overkill for a backup in my opinion when you could build a nice genesis for $150. But it might not need anything

- - - Updated - - -

It could be newer too. That looks like the same vintage as mine which was a 2006 I think

Yes, this is a Weber Summit Silver A, 2003-2004. "A" is the only model without side burner; "B" has side burner; "C" has side burner + dedicated smoker burner. Design was different before and after this date range, narrowing this unit down to 2003-2004.

Biggest concern would be the front of the firebox where the burners poke through, the flavorizer bars and the lower cart. The lower cart can rust, but it's nowhere near as bad as later gen Summits/Genny's. The firebox tends to corrode where the burner tubes stick through the front of it. I'm guessing that it's heat related. The good news is that I think those fireboxes are still available from Weber. At least the 6 burner versions were when I needed one for a Summit Gold D. lastly, the flavorizer bars. the burner set up on this is two pairs of burner tubes, each having a cross over tube positioned in the middle instead of at the end of the tubes. To prevent a hotspot across the middle of the grill and also to protect the cross over tubes, the flavorizer bars have a piece running side to side and the bars themselves are spot welded to it. End result is that this makes the flavorizers much more expensive than just a set of individual bars. Here's what they look like:

grill-parts-9896-1.jpg

they run about $150+ It's 2 pieces, once section with 4 bars, the other with 5. Complicating matters even more is the design of the grill box in relation to the flavorizers. On Gennys, there are little notches cast into the box to hold the flavorizers in place. On the older Summit 400/600, there are front and rear flavorizer bar holders. On this model, the front and back or the grill box is flat and smooth where the flavorizers sit. There are notches on the left and right sides of the grill box that the center left/right bar of the flavorizers slots into. This kind of makes it difficult to just fab up individual bars to lay down into the cookbox. There's nothing there to keep them from shifting left/right.

All that said, if the three things mentioned above are in very good shape, I'd jump at it for $150.

Last edited:
I thought that version was a little later but could be wrong. They cook decently enough. Not as well made as the earlier version (though slightly larger overall).

Yes as Dave said, the biggest thing I saw in person were rusted flavors and that support bar across - it works but def would need replacing in a reno at $150 as Dave said.

Frame, lower cart etc all seemed good shape no visible serious rusting I could see that a bit of sanding and new paint wouldn't

Firebox seemed ok other than needing thorough cleaning of gunk above double wall hood and then below and sides as would be expected. And I think the firebox is still under warranty (25 yrs?) so might even be Weber warranty item??

What I priced online at Weber grillparts was:
$150 new stainless flavo bars/crossbar kit, $60-118 for new stainless grates and $45 for new ignition kit - maybe $30 for new hose/regulator?? So I'd est total of $300 in all new part and some elbow grease and time to bring this reno to new

Seller called and said he'd take $100 w/o propane tank or $125 w the tank - so the $64k question is - which is better - $450ish all in for a reno Summit A circa 2004 (prob built better than newer Gennys w honest to goodness all 304 ss) ... or... put that $450 toward a newer Genny II SE-410 ($950) with the newer GS4 burner system etc

What do you think guys?? Thanks for great replies above thoughts and advice - great group here...

I bought a new one last year when they got marked down knowing the new ines were coming. Wish I had waited

My only knock on the new ones is you have to step up to the 4 burner to get stainless grates and flavor bars and color hood

Yes as Dave said, the biggest thing I saw in person were rusted flavors and that support bar across - it works but def would need replacing in a reno at $150 as Dave said.

Frame, lower cart etc all seemed good shape no visible serious rusting I could see that a bit of sanding and new paint wouldn't

Firebox seemed ok other than needing thorough cleaning of gunk above double wall hood and then below and sides as would be expected. And I think the firebox is still under warranty (25 yrs?) so might even be Weber warranty item??

What I priced online at Weber grillparts was:
$150 new stainless flavo bars/crossbar kit, $60-118 for new stainless grates and $45 for new ignition kit - maybe $30 for new hose/regulator?? So I'd est total of $300 in all new part and some elbow grease and time to bring this reno to new

Seller called and said he'd take $100 w/o propane tank or $125 w the tank - so the $64k question is - which is better - $450ish all in for a reno Summit A circa 2004 (prob built better than newer Gennys w honest to goodness all 304 ss) ... or... put that $450 toward a newer Genny II SE-410 ($950) with the newer GS4 burner system etc

What do you think guys?? Thanks for great replies above thoughts and advice - great group here...

The $129K question is, how big of a hurry are you in ? Would love to see some closer up pics of the burners, grates, flavorizers, etc. As for the hose/regulator, does the current one work ?

I'd grab the Summit and get grates from RCPlanebuyer on Ebay (I'd get his flavorizers too) better products and cheaper overall than Weber's. I installed his stuff on my bro's Summit Silver B and it's a champ.

No big hurry so I passed - too many uncertainties and better to put what would end up being > $450 into another grill (think I "wanted it to be better than it really was)
Thx Dave and L

At that total cost/investment, I would pass. I just restored/rebuilt a Summit Gold D6. I like the grill, but it was a lot of work and money (I have abut $450 net into the grill) for a 13 year old gas grill. But, mine is a six burner model with a smoker box, side burner and rotisserie burner, so an equivalent new one would be $2,000 or so. In you case, you can find a better value this spring as people start to buy new grills and sell their old ones on the cheap.

Thanks all

At that total cost/investment, I would pass. I just restored/rebuilt a Summit Gold D6. I like the grill, but it was a lot of work and money (I have abut $450 net into the grill) for a 13 year old gas grill. But, mine is a six burner model with a smoker box, side burner and rotisserie burner, so an equivalent new one would be $2,000 or so. In you case, you can find a better value this spring as people start to buy new grills and sell their old ones on the cheap.

Thx Scot et al - yes agree that if patient can either find a better Genny 1000-5000 or pre-09 Summit or other to resto...or put the $450-500 resto $$ toward a new ep-410 if the GS-4 burner system is indeed a worthy upgrade (tbd)

Back