Thread: Join me at Silicon Valley BBQ Championships, Santa Clara, CA 6/24/17

Join me at Silicon Valley BBQ Championships, Santa Clara, CA 6/24/17

I'll be judging barbecue at the Silicon Valley BBQ Championships at Santa Clara Central Park in Santa Clara, CA on Saturday, June 24. I consider this my "home contest" because it's closest to where I live and I really look forward to participating in this one each year.

There's lots of pubic barbecue tasting, lots of beer and wine, lots of vendors, kids amusement area...it's just a great event that really gets rolling on Friday night for the public and keeps on going through 8pm on Saturday night. Come check it out if you're anywhere in the Bay Area!

Free admission! Visit https://www.svbbq.com/ for all the details.

Look for me around the Judges Quarters or out in the team area and I'll give you a 2017 TVWB pin!

Just a reminder, I'll be judging BBQ at the Silicon Valley BBQ Championships in Santa Clara on Saturday, June 24. Really nice family-oriented event at Central Park, hope you'll stop by if you can. Even Friday night is fun for the public! https://www.facebook.com/SiliconValleyBBQChampionships/

TVWBB Member
    See you there Chris!

Came by your spot, Jerry, but you were out carousing around. See you down the road...

I would be remiss if I did not post a few photos from the Silicon Valley BBQ Championship, which I consider to be my annual hometown BBQ contest. Had a fun time judging this contest, look forward to doing it again in 2018!

Better late than never...enjoy the pics!

Judges gather in air conditioned luxury.

Time for judges to show-off their coolest BBQ t-shirts...

...and here's another.

Meeting for backyard teams with KCBS reps Kelly McIntosh and Ian Schmidt.

Always plenty of instrumented WSMs at these contests.

This team prefers Weber Performers, with a Weber gasser and another gasser thrown in for other tasks beside meat entries.

Rum-pa-pum-pum, a team with three drums. And a pellet cooker.

Ric's Righteous Ribs in the house, with Ric (in red t-shirt in the back) celebrating his birthday today.

Continued...

Folks lining up for barbecue vended by Lord of the Ribs.

These are a few of my favorite things...

A gaggle of WSMs cooling off.

These events run on beer sales. Lots of thirsty visitors bellying up to the bar.

Healthy fruit desserts from an outfit called Gaspachos from Sacramento. Very colorful!

Not a bad looking vendor sandwich! I'd eat that all day long and twice on Sunday.

Plate of grilled chicken with sides from a vendor.

Poor Rick Brandini of RBQ Barbecue...the guy in the next booth ran over his Weber chimney starter!

RBQ packaging up competition leftovers to take home.

A 26" Weber kettle and a WSM of each size for good measure. By the way, how many Webers can you spot in this photo? I think eight?

Continued...

Another team, another pair of WSMs.

Friends, family, judges and competitors celebrate Ric Gilbert's birthday and the going away of Scott and Pam Hares of Too Ashamed to Name as they prepare to move from California to North Carolina. I guess following their East/South BBQ competition adventures on Facebook will have to suffice.

BBQ contest organizer extraordinaire, sharp dresser, and pizza lover Ben Lobenstein makes pies for party guests.

Pick your favorite toppings...

Ben slides a pizza into the 900F+ Uuni 3 pellet-fired pizza oven.

In/out/turn, in/out/turn, and in 5 minutes you've got a perfectly baked pizza with some delicious char on the crust.

Excellent post and pictures Chris.