Genesis 1000 - What to look for?

Chris_M

So I saw a Weber Genesis 1000 posted on my neighborhood bulletin board--only one small photo but it's described as ~20 years old which would put it at late 90's. Described as in working condition, and he's asking $75 for the grill, a 1 year old cover, and a "mostly full" propane tank. Is that a fair price if it is in fact in working shape and not rusted out/falling apart? What else should I be looking for?

I'm not at all knowledgeable about gas grills, but I've heard co-workers sing the praises of the Genesis series and from looking around here it seems like it'd be worth picking up and doing at least some limited restoration work on. I have a Weber Performer Platinum charcoal grill and have been quite happy with it so far, but a gas companion would be nice for those nights I don't have the time to deal with charcoal! Thanks in advance.

When you go to check it out, see if it has good flavorizer bars that aren't all rusted, solid burners, grates. Also check to make sure the cart is in good shape and free from rust, too. The Genesis models are excellent but if you're not up for a restore it might not be a great deal depending on what it needs. I'd see if the seller is flexible on price, especially if it needs anything.

It's hard to say whether or not it's a good deal without some good, detailed photos. Like Alan said, you want to see what kind of condition the grates, flavorizer bars, etc. are in. The old Genesis grills are great, but one that old may need/benefit from a restore.

Not against doing restoration work, it's just a matter of degree. Disassembly and replacement of consumable-type parts isn't a big deal, cleaning up/light refinishing/whatnot. I'm hoping to get something sturdy that will serve me well for at least a few years, even if I do have to put a little more money into it. I'd prefer an older quality product that needs some work to something new and cheap though, and I don't have the cash for a new high-end grill, so this might be a good fit. I'm going to take a look at it on Wednesday but I'll see if I can get some better photos beforehand.

If it needs anything I'll see what I can do on price, but he's agreed to deliver it for me without charging any extra (I don't have a truck and we're only a couple miles apart) so that goodwill does crimp my negotiating room. :)

I'd say grab it what with free delivery and gas. Not much to lose here. FWIW you can count pretty much on needing consumable parts. The big things are, is the firebox warped or burned through? is the frame so far gone there is no "meat" on it to repair it? chips in the porcelain (cannot repair it)?
Otherwise flavorizer bars are a gimme, burners quite likely and grates many times are more personal choice than need.
I know I recently passed on a Genesis Platinum (the kind with the Summit frame, cabinet and Summit side burner) but he was asking $150. Burner tubes all shot, side rail on frame nearly gone and worst of all fire box badly warped. Also needed bars. It was very obvious it had a horrible fire inside. Box was warped so badly the grates would not stay in position. So IMO this was an unrepairable grill

I found a Weber Genesis Platinum C (2005) stainless steel on craigslist yesterday for $75. The grill was in great shape and well worth the price, and even included a Weber brand cover.

Please update after looking at it and let us how it went.

Decided to go for it--it's very, very dirty, needs a good cleaning in the worst way, but other than that it seems pretty solid. No rust that I could determine, in the past few years he's replaced the igniter, burners, and flavorizer bars (went stainless for those). Also the brackets that hold the bottom tray to the firebox. I'll see how good the parts look after a deep clean but I think it was worth the money. The wood slats in the side table are coming apart from the brackets but those should be easy to deal with. Looks like a good starting point, I'll post a few photos tomorrow.

Haven't gotten a chance to do any cleaning yet as today was mostly rainy, but some photos:

34763968951_709acbb778_b.jpg

The side table is there, I just forgot to put it back for this photo. Some of the wood bars are coming loose, but that's easily fixed.

34763967701_c1dbe3bd57_b.jpg

Bars are very dirty, but look solid. Should clean up nicely. They're replacement SS bars, several years old but much newer than the grill itself.

34763966721_2df483af8a_b.jpg

Burners have also been replaced, as has the igniter.

All in all I'm happy with it. It's coming apart this weekend for a good cleaning and further analysis, but right now I see almost no rust. Other than the crud it's been taken care of. He fired it up for me, and it lit right up on all three burners and the temp came up steadily.

Pretty good find since you got some good parts already replaced. That's a pretty budget looking handle.

Yeah the handle is definitely jackleg, but I can make a nicer-looking one. I assume the original slotted style is NLA?

Just started taking it apart on Monday....glad I didn't get very far (had only removed side tables & lower rack) as it was actually called into emergency service that night! I had the Performer going to cook some pork chops, veggies and corn for myself and my wife, but the %*#&! "lump" charcoal that I was using ended up consisting primarily of small chips and burned hot & fast, leaving me with no heat halfway through the pork chops and corn. Genesis to the rescue with only a quick wire brushing of the hot grate, and everything finished quite nicely.

On a side note I do not recommend the char-broil "center cut" lump charcoal. Maybe I just got a bad box, but way too many small pieces.

Back