Texas Monthly Top 50 Barbecue Joints in Texas

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The Texas Monthly top 50 list has come out today. It's not without controversy.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/food/the-list-the-top-50-barbecue-joints-in-texas/

Most interesting to me is that Franklin has fallen to number 2, beaten out by Snow's. I've been to both, and although I love Snow's, the time I went I didn't feel like it beat Franklin by any stretch. A lot of very good joints aren't even on the list, like Black's in Lockhart. The bar has gotten really high in Texas. Their rating scale goes from 0 to 5. Only 4's and above made the list. On the last list in 2013 that wasn't the case. I definitely have a lot of new joints I want to check out!

We visited Snow's and Franklin in October 2015. Franklin edged out Snow's for us, but we didn't get to try that pork steak at Snow's that is spoken of so highly. :D

Their briskets are done in offsets but most of their stuff is cooked by Tootsie in those direct pits. I wonder if we'll see a trend towards more of that. Everyone has been trying to emulate Franklin and the so called "Hipster barbecue" or big city barbecue trend. Most of the joints on this list fall in that category though. My favorite joint in North Texas is Pecan Lodge which I felt was a close second to Franklin is no longer in the top 10. Anyway, it's just kind of fun to talk about. Congratulations to Snows!

On this list, I've only been to Franklins. Snow's has been on my list, but with two young children and limited family time due to work, my weekends are usually devoted to my family. Cattleack's is also on my list and more "doable" since I live in DFW. That said, I can't wait to get to more of these places and my list has grown thanks to this article. For the record, I was absolutely blown away by Franklins. I got the Brisket (moist and lean cuts), sausage, and spare ribs, and was most blown away by the ribs! Holy crap!!!

Corkscrew BBQ is really close to the office. A coworker turned me on to the place and it has very good BBQ. I had my very first beef rib from there, it was outstanding.

Was at Heims, Fort Worth in January, surprised to see it on the list, It was ok, but not stellar. which kinda makes you wonder how, and who, picks these places.

I had business in Houston this morning and San Antonio tomorrow so I checked the list and there was City Market in Luling. Ate there today and it was pretty darn good! Had brisket and pork ribs, they were both cooked perfectly. Not up to Franklins level but better than I thought it would be. Their smokeroom is awesome, don't expect much as far as service, they're short and to the point. $13/lb for brisket and ribs, cash only.

Been to Tyler's in Amarillo, first class brisket! He chops the point and puts it on Texas Toast and it is delicious. The fat is completely rendered and melts in your mouth. My son and I have skipped out of family gatherings and headed over to Tyler's for our BBQ fix (we live in New Mexico).

I still stand by Black's as my go-to when I get the chance to get down there. A good sign is all the Sheriff and Highway Patrol cars parked out front. Follow those guys to the best places to eat and you'll be rewarded.

Back