NG or Propane

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
I'm in the middle of deciding what grill to get and what to do with my backyard.

Currently I have a propane grill. I have NG line to the outside of the house, so I was thinking, next grill will be NG. We're planning a patio at the moment. The way we're configuring the patio, we thought it made sense to have the grill towards the end of the patio in front of the stairs (not directly in front) as it will be easier under normal conditions to come out and grill but still near where seating would be. they're talking about putting one of those circle kits half in, half out of the patio to put the grill on. Seems like a cool feature. Currently the line is about as far away from where the steps would be as could be.

So I have 2 options, 1 run the line underground and pop up on the patio where we would place the grill, or go propane again.

1 option involves a plumber, us digging a trench and having a stub somewhere in the patio, how precise the location is, I won't know until we're done. I'm kind of getting hung up on the stub in and the unknown price.

Other option is doing nothing, getting a propane grill:redgenesis1:. Plus here is that I can move the grill where I want. Do I want to have it further back? no problem. Do I want to position it to the right and have the Performer:blueperformer: next to it? no problem.

I like grilling, we do it twice+ a week year round. I thought, hey the NG line makes a lot of sense. However, now I'm really having second thoughts as I feel the stub up is going to be limiting somehow in positioning the grill and feel the cost may be up there to get a plumber in.

Any thoughts?

I have a NG grill on our back patio and love it, no messing with propane tanks. But then again I also have a propane gasser on the same patio that I can move around.
I can tell you be sitting down when a licensed plumber gives you the estimate. Our last house I wanted a stub put in the wall right behind where our gas range was on the inside, one foot of pipe a tee fitting and the shut off valve outside, maybe a one hour job. Cheapest bid I got was $275, needless to say I didn't do it.

I'd go NG all the way. Now that I have it I wonder why I took so ling to get it. I have had NG on the deck now for maybe 12/13 years. Would never go back

I LOVE the NG setup. Never worried about a tank running out. Not that I would ever run completely out, but when tanks ran out and needed to be changed, it always seemed to happen at the least opportune time. NG, to me, is worth it all the way. My setup features a ten foot or so flexible NG line coming off the NG pipe, which comes out of the side of my house. I can move the grill plenty far without disconnecting it to clean back there, etc., but it's in a pretty permanent position, so the only reason I move it is for cleaning. But, if you wanted to move it 5 or 10 feet in any direction, it's easy to do.

Two cents for NG.

Back