itsy bitsy teeny weeny little dinky Faux Pastrami for Smoke Day 13

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
We'll be in the desert for the Memorial Day weekend, so got my smoke awn Saturday.

Dug a small corned beef out of the fridge (approx. 4 lbs). It had both the point & flat. Decided to use both.
Followed these directions: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html

Rubbed & into the 14.5 over a full ring of K Lump with several large chunks of pecan. Used a diffuser for this cook.
The point was on the bottom grate.

PICT5102_zpsnfaybrla.jpg

Temps were in the 250* - 260* range. About 2 1/4 hours later, wrapped them in butcher paper when they had an IT of 160*.

PICT5107_zpsux9tmupr.jpg

The meat probed tender 3 1/2 hours later. The point was 198* & the flat was 191*. Pulled them, wrapped them in a old blanket & put them in a cooler for 2 hours.

Out of the cooler & ready to go in the fridge for the night. They sure are little!

PICT5117_zpsql0z7int.jpg

Some test slices the next day. The point tastes OK - not as good as the flat, but it's acceptable.

PICT5123_zpsva8o7w16.jpg

The sandwich was killer.

PICT5134_zps50ensmbe.jpg

I'm glad I cooked this. Next time, I'll get a big flat & do "real" pastrami.

Looks good.

Last weekend I smoked a desalinated corned beef. The next day I sliced it about 1/8" and laid the slices on the grill for a little char. It definitely made the meat taste better on rye with mustard. I don't know why I didn't make it a reuben?

Outstanding looking pastrami Robert! You'll be thinking about that sandwich when you're out in the desert this weekend. Have a good time out there.

Wow Robert, that looks great. Pastrami is my favorite, I'm going to have to give it a try some day.

Back