Anyone else find that Whole Foods has the best meat?

Chris in NY

TVWBB Member
Have been to nearly every butcher, market etc within a 30 mile radius and for some reason, I can't find anything that compares to the quality of the meat there. There may be an occasional mediocre item but in general their stuff is just so consistently good

My wife won't eat beef from anywhere else now, odd as it sounds the same cuts from a lot of other places will either seem excessively "irony" to me or have less flavor in general

Last week I reverse seared a couple of NY strips from them on my performer and it was life changing. I mean strips are always good but these were exceptional. I look at the photos every day as a reminder of that meal.

All in all, it isn't cheap but if you have one close by and haven't checked out the meat selection you should! Their au poivre seasoned burgers are also a favorite, interestingly enough the outer seasoning is somewhat like Montreal but with Parmesan being the secret weapon..

I don't get to the one by me nearly enough, but between their meat and the craft beer selection I could live there.

Last week they had their NY strip on sale for 11.99 a pound, a couple weeks ago skirts were 7.99 and I believe this week the London broil is 4.99 so I will be grabbing some to cook and vacuum seal for tacos and steak sandwiches. There is also a 5 off 25 deal going on at the nearest one so all in all of I can get the price down to 4/lb for 5 lbs it seems like a decent deal.. Their seasoned hamburger patties are also on sale for 4.99/lb

Chris, there isn't a quality butcher shop in OR near LONG ISLAND NEW YORK???
Amazing!!

in and around the tiny town of Milwaukee Wisconsin, there are dozens of "GREAT" butcher shops...
And by GREAT, I mean Top Quality beef and excellent pork, sausages and any thing in between you can't think of.

I have been to Whole Foods, but I did not purchase any meat after seeing the price of their bratwurst. ($7.98 lb)

Been to one in Phoenix, none up here though. The products looked great, but my wallet stared quivering so I left.

They are good, but a bit pricey here in San Diego.

If I'm going to drop coin on quality meat for a special occasion - my go to butcher is Siesel's on Ashton.

I have a couple of real butchers I like very much, Whole Foods is two hours away and not a fun drive. If I make it a fun drive, it's almost four consequently, I don't go there much.

Ours is good. Really good...great selection and availability of harder to find stuff. But, for beef, I really love our Earth Fare. Their filets and a couple of other cuts make Whole Foods look like a middle of the road grocer.

The local Whole Foods is great but the Fresh Market here gives them a run for their money. Both offer great meats.

I guess that it depends on where you live and the availability of "old-school butchers" who know their stuff (or not) within your locale.

Here in Wisconsin, we have LOTS of good options (just that certain cuts that are popular elsewhere may be hard to find)
I've been to WF and the stuff looked pretty impressive.
We tried some of their steaks once when they were on sale, and they WERE pretty darned good.

Every now and then - I like a different "organic" place that has grass-fed beef.
It seems to have better flavor and texture for some things, but not as tender as good Prime.

Just read where Amazon has bought Whole Foods and supposedly will be lowering there prices starting Monday.

Living around Chicago, we have a few actual butchers, the Jewel food stores, Mariano's (the old Dominick's Chain) a few IGAs. I haven't noticed any difference except price. With Illinois being broke as a joke and taxed to the extreme (Chicago is the top city in the country that people leave) I can't even see how Whole Foods even stays in business.

Back