Reheat brisket , no vaccum machine

Sam Meyer

I don't have the fancy machine and bags to seal brisket leftovers. What's the best way to reheat without cooking and totally destroying the color and flavor of the meat ?

Steam it.
Since we do not own a steam pot, we use a colander placed atop a sauce pan filled with an inch or so of water.
Place the zip lock type of bag, containing the brisket slices, in the colander. Let it steam for 15 minutes.

Daniel Vaughn of Texas Monthly had a method of reheating briskets using a cooler as kind of a poor man's sous vide. I guess that involved vacuum sealing and putting it in a cooler of hot water to bring up slowly to 140.

I just toss my bags in cold water, bring to a boil and let it got for about 5 minutes. Then I'll puncture a hole in the top of the bag (not below the waterline) with a digitherm to measure the temp. Remove when done. ; ' )

If you submerge your ziplock into a pot of water as you are closing it, it will give you a light vacuum seal. slowly work the bag until all the air is out and zip it up.. Works unbelievably well.. If you need me to make a video and show you how I do it, I can do that for you.

hope this helps you out

If you submerge your ziplock into a pot of water as you are closing it, it will give you a light vacuum seal. slowly work the bag until all the air is out and zip it up.. Works unbelievably well.. If you need me to make a video and show you how I do it, I can do that for you.

hope this helps you out

I saw a person roll a partially-zipped Ziploc bag on TV, and push out most of the air. Is your way better?

Yeah I think so. However you can combine the 2 and get an even more through method. Rolling is a little agressive on soft meat. The water is way more gentle but it does push out most the air. Like I said I can video it for you or you can try with damn near anything. I work as a professional chef and it is one of those VETERAN moves I have picked up over the last 20 years. Use what ever works for you but I use this method for everything. Especially if I am freezing things

Yeah I think so. However you can combine the 2 and get an even more through method. Rolling is a little aggressive on soft meat. The water is way more gentle but it does push out most the air. Like I said I can video it for you or you can try with damn near anything. I work as a professional chef and it is one of those VETERAN moves I have picked up over the last 20 years. Use what ever works for you but I use this method for everything. Especially if I am freezing things

Sure, be glad to see the video and learn something new.

Ok. Pm me an email to send it to or a cell number. I will do the process using different things so yo can see the effect it creates.

Placing the (filled) bags in a sink of water really works well. The water pressure basically squeezes out all the air so you can seal it.

What also works with zip lock bags is putting a straw (cocktail straws work best) in one corner, sealing the top as far as the straw will allow and sucking out the air left in the bag. When the vacuum is tight, pinch the straw while slipping it out and sealing the bag.

I've done that before, Bill (straw method). I just worry about sucking raw meat juices (in the case of uncooked items).

I saw the video, and the zip bag had a good vacuum to it. It's a good way to create a vacuum without mashing tender contents.

Back