1880 vs new 14.5" wsm

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
I've been through a lot this past year and am looking to get back into smoking. One of the issues last year was moving and in the process drastically downsizing. In doing so, I sold my 18" and all my equipment except for my little one - the 1880. So now I have a small dilemma. Since I purchased the 1880, I have not cooked on it. It is not pristine but it is in good shape. So now I'm wondering if I should use the 1880 or get a new 14.5". My future smoking will be fine with a small unit so I'm not worried about trying to replace my 18".

Then there is the larger dilemma. If I don't cook in the 1880, is it time to sell it? If I had room, I'd have several grills/smokers, but those days are gone. So even two smokers, as small as they may be, would be too much. Beyond hurting my soul a bit to sell the 1880, there is also a financial quirk. When I bought the 1880, there was no 14.5". I'm sure I paid too much for it at the time, but I was okay with that because I wanted it. Now that there is a small wsm that can be bought new, I'm thinking the value of the 1880 is no greater than the new 14.5" and that would be a pretty significant loss.

So, some thoughts would be great. New? Sell? Use the 1880? Need to make a decision because I fully plan to be smoking on smoke day this year. It's been a while and I'm ready.

Last edited:
I believe that the "collectable" pricing of the 1880 was considerably lowered with the introduction of the WSM 14.5.
If you have already weathered the significant loss of value, why not use the 1880 and enjoy it? A nice rack of back
ribs is a good way to start, they will make you smile again.

I don't know what you think about eBay, but in my opinion it's about the only place you would get top dollar for the 1880, and in doing so find out its true value.
You could start it at what you're willing to take, no fees if it doesn't sell.
Sounds like it's been cooked on before, so a few more times won't hurt it or its value, IMO, then make a final decision later.
It would be pretty cool to fire it up for the first time on Smoke Day too. :cool:

Back