10 Hour Smoked Spares For Rib Sandwiches

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Saw this recipe a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try. I've enjoyed all the recent posts of McRib cooks and thought this technique would work well to do one of my own. I've never had a real McRib Sandwich from McDonalds so I read up on how they’re made. They grind their pork (?), mix it with preservatives and shape it into something resembling ribs and then freeze them. I thought heck, I can do better than that and got to work. Here's what I came up with.

I picked up a rack of Spares at Safeway. I'd never seen this brand there before and thought they'd be perfect. Duroc Heritage pork.

[/UR

Removed membrane and applied rub. Put rack in fridge overnight.

[URL=http://s842.photobucket.com/user/sdivecliff/media/Sweeties%20Birthday/DSC_1319_zps1ndq3dtt.jpg.html]

Brought the WSM up to 230 and put on the ribs. Pecan and Apple chunks for smoke.

After 4 hours, I pulled lid to check progress.

At this point, placed the ribs in a couple pieces of HD foil, wrapped soundly and returned to smoker for another two hours, still at 230. Not many action shots from now on as ribs remained foiled for rest of cook. After 2 hours, I turned down smoker temp to 200 for an additional 2 hours. The ribs are now at the 8 hour mark. Opened the foil and checked IT between ribs. The IT was around 193.

Secured foil and turned smoker down to 170, and continued to cook for an additional 2 hours, maybe slightly less.

While on the last leg of the cook I threw together some ABT's and got them on the grill.

Pulled the ribs after 10 hours.

Each bone pulled nicely out of the meat.

Sliced up the meat into 1 inch slices.

ABT's were done.

Last edited:
Toasted some nice center cut sandwich rolls, and made up the sandwich. Topped the pork with Stubb's Sweet Heat BBQ Sauce, thinly sliced purple onions and topped with sour dill pickle chips.

~original
Plated McRib Sandwich (faux) with the ABT's and my wife's potato salad.

Man, I had a lot of fun with this cook. The sandwiches were absolutely delicious. Not the typical way to smoke ribs but perfect for using as a sandwich meat. Have plenty left over for either more sandwiches, tacos, enchiladas or whatever. Even got some work done around the house while the WSM was doing its thing. Thanks for looking everyone!

Last edited:
Yer the man!!! That has got to be off the wall super.
Never thought you could cook ribs for that amount of time.

I certainly never would have thought of this technique, but I'd be lying if I said they didn't look good and that my mouth wasn't watering!

That's a great idea Cliff, that looks awesome. I usually get BBs but the Fry's here had spares for $.99 a pound so I bought a rack. Didn't know what I was going to do with them, but I do now:)

Last edited:
Cliff, that is one awesome cook. They look delicious and that sandwich out of sight. Yes, Rich will be doing this with out rack of ribs.

Ill take a McBartlett rib sammie now please, are these only available for a limited time?:)

Back