Smoked Prime Rib

ChrisMoorer

Really been wanting to smoke a rib roast for quite some time and finally had a special enough occasion to pull the trigger on the purchase. This turned out absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it.

Rub:
Salt
Pepper
EVOO
Several cloves of garlic inserted into fat cap
Minced rosemary and thyme

Used 6 chunks of cherry. Smoked at 225-250 for 2.5 hrs until we reached 120. Hit it with a very quick reverse sear on my piping hot performer for about 2 minutes (30 seconds all the way around). I have the cast iron insert on my performer and that thing gets hot! Love it for my steaks; gives you grill marks from hell - you can barely see the corner of a rib eye that I also grilled for additional meat because the rib roast was only a 4.5 pounder.

Major take away: hickory wood would have also been fine. I used cherry to ensure that didn't overpower the meat and it was delicious. Just FYI hickory or your other favorite wood will be fine. This meat can take some smoke.

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1256.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii489%2FCamoorer%2FMobile%2520Uploads%2FA64EE740-B89F-4BD2-B441-2C17514FC81A_zps8jmsqdys.mp4&title=">

2E3EE086-599A-40A6-B93A-C6BB15B01C11_zpsotlt4xq2.jpg

Heaven on a plate!

Tim

Gotta try that. We do 2-1'2" thick cowboy ribeyes and a Performer in similar fashion: 1 hr indirect at around 275 until 115 internal, post oak smoke wood, then remove and rest while rebuilding fire to afterburner level, the 1-1/2 to 2 minute sear on each side.

That looks delicious and the presentation is great. What wine?

Oh, man. That's done just the way I like it! Your sous chef doesn't look impressed, but that'll change! ;)

Rich

Prime Rib looks perfect. Also really like the Good People IPA, although it's the only beer I've had from them that I like.

Chris that looks great. Nice job. I cooked a rib roast on mothers day and pulled at 125 and it was a tad overdone. Looks like 120 was perfect.

Back