Foods on the top and bottom grates

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Thanks for the warm welcome in my other thread. I already love this community within the forum. I don't even have my WSM yet, and I can't wait to order it via the Amazon affiliate link in about a week after I get back from my trip to Alabama, but I'm already pumped up and I can hardly wait. Don't know if I can wait during the next 10 days or not! We are going to smoke a little bit of food down there, but man oh man, I can't wait!

Anyway, in my other thread, I said I have an 11lb. pork shoulder ready to put on the new WSM. Well, I bought a pork loin the other night and some pork loin back ribs (the ribs were on sale for $1.99/lb so I couldn't pass that up) and I reckon I'm going to try out the smoker with the pork loin just to get used to the WSM before I do the pork shoulder.

I'm also going to get some chicken thighs (love, love, love, love, love smoked chicken thighs; cheaper than dirt and they make for some good eatin', no doubt), potatoes and wrap some jalapenos with bacon and stuff them with cheese. I plan on putting these three things on the bottom, lower grate while the pork loin and ribs cook on the top. Does that sound like a pretty good setup? That's what I was pretty much doing with my Brinkmann offset vertical trailmaster I've been using (big items up top; items that cook rather quickly closer to the heat source).

Can't wait... can't wait... I'm like a kid in a candy store right now or a dog about to get a treat! :D:cool::wsm22:

The chicken needs (much) higher temps (like +325) than the pork (225-275) if you want crispy skin. Personally, I'd do the chicken on the grill (add a smoke packet--wood chips in alum foil pocket) if you want the smoke component.

I've found the temp differential between top and bottom racks is not so different.

One problem I see with your initial method is the chicken will be done b4 the pork. This will require disassembly of the whole unit to get the chicken out and pork back in and then get the heat back up etc etc. Will add AT LEAST an hour to your cooking time for the pork.

ZERO concerns about chicken juice dripping on the pork. It's all cooking so it makes no never mind.

You can do all of it at a lower temp but with the chicken on the top. Just be prepared to remove the chicken skin b4 eating. Nasty stuff when done at low temps.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Len! I don't mind the skin not being crispy. I love letting it smoke for a couple of hours and letting it take on the flavor. Haven't dried them out (yet).

I like the hot & fast method using ashed over coals and no water pan. It's sort of like cooking chicken in a barrel smoker, although I may try Len's foil-wrapped chips on the fire next time.

Here is a great chicken rub recipe (called, Slap Yo Daddy) that we like very well...

• 1 TBSP Lawry's Seasoned Salt.
  • 1 TBSP granulated sugar.
  • 1 TBSP McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  • 1-1/2 tsp mild chili powder.
  • 1-1/2 tsp paprika.
  • 1-1/2 tsp granulated garlic.
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper.

The recipe sort of tastes like BBQ potato chip seasoning for what it's worth. You can adjust the cayenne pepper to you taste.

Last edited:
The weber chicken n rib seasoning is really good too. Check that one out. I would try to avoid if possible letting the uncooked pork drip on the other items.

Back