Rockfish Vera Cruz

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
One of the chain supermarkets had a special on fresh rockfish, so I picked up a couple of fillets.

We like brown rice with this meal & I thought I'd try cooking it outdoors in a Dutch oven.
Found this recipe & decided to give it a try: http://kitchen-parade-veggieventure.blogspot.com/2006/03/by-request-cooks-illustrateds.html

Got the water for the rice boiling on the side burner, added some butter & salt.

PICT5041_zpsu2wel3uu.jpg

Poured the boiling water over the rice.

PICT5044_zpsfboesifi.jpg

Let everything cook for an hour at 375*.

PICT5046_zpsalmz1wue.jpg

Got my ducks all lined up about 15 minutes or so before the rice was to finish.

PICT5056_zpsqoms9v5g.jpg

Sauteed some finely sliced onion & garlic in a tablespoon of EVOO until soft.

PICT5076_zpsmqojgwd5.jpg

Added 1/4 cup white Zinfandel, a can of fire-roasted diced tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of drained capers, 1/4 cup chopped jalapeno stuffed olives, a bay leaf & 1/2 teaspoon sugar.
Brought it to a boil & cooked until thickened.

PICT5079_zpsoze08ybs.jpg

Added the fish and let it all go for several minutes longer.

PICT5082_zpsiammpcjd.jpg

Grilled some fresh sliced pineapple.

PICT5086_zpsiwnsifcd.jpg

It was Time To Eat!!!

PICT5100_zpsomrevii3.jpg

Dinner was very good, although the rice was a bit "al dente". Next time will use a bit more water & cook a little longer.

Last edited:
Rob, interesting combination for your cook, I like all the different tools working with your big Weber. I have been making rice for 40 years mostly in a steamer but when away in a pot. We wash the rice to remove dirt and such, add water to about 1 inch above the rice , let soak 15 minutes before cooking, just before cooking top off the water level for the amount absorbed.
Then cook as normal.
I would love a plate of this meal, great job.

I continually ask myself why do I battle rain and snow and blistering heat to grill dinner for my wife and family? The answer always comes back as, because it's worth it!
I don't do enough fish, this is inspirational, more rockfish, more halibut(just for the halibut) and good pacific salmon. I'm not fond of the Lake Michigan salmon and honestly, will seek Lake Superior or Lake Huron freshwater delights as much as possible. Don't know why, the Lake Michigan stuff just does not seem "right" most of the time.

All, thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your suggestions on the rice.

fwiw - am really enjoying the 26er & all the real estate. Should be using the Dutch ovens more - they're lot of fun - love the flavor they add to the food.
I still love my Performer, though.

I've only done jasmine rice for thirty some years or more, never done the brown.
Many years ago a retired Lt. Col. told me that "Thai rice is the best, not just better, the best!" I asked why he replied,"It just is!" Since I have Thai ancestry, I saw no reason to doubt his words, after all these years, I still see no reason!

Back