Buying a WSM soon! Ditching my old Brinkmann vertical trailmaster for it.

Troy S

TVWBB Fan
Hey everybody! I made a post on a smoking forum and these are the cliffnotes from the post I made there:

~ My main squeeze's parents gave me their old offset vertical smoker.
~ Smokes OK, but temperatures are inconsistent, smoke leaks and is an aggravation.
~ Searched for mods, but don't see any viable solutions.
~ Badly want a 22.5" Weber Smokey Mountain cooker...
~ Girlfriend says I don't need the WSM...
~ I want one insanely badly anyway
~ Do I really need one? Or should I suck it up and keep my Brinkmann and save my $400 like a responsible human being?

Well, the folks over there enabled me, and I'm going to get a WSM! I'm heading down south to Alabama for a few days and I'll be there for a week. I'm probably going to order the WSM on Amazon. I can't buy it locally, it looks like. I see some 1 star reviews on Amazon from people saying they received damaged WSM items or missing items. Do you reckon this is a cause for concern? Anybody else on here order their WSM from Amazon? Just wanting to hear some stories before I finally pull the trigger in the next week and a half! I've also considered buying from BBQ Guys, but I'll most likely buy from Amazon, I guess.

Last edited:
You could use some joint sealer to seal up those joints but I'd still say, yes, you need one... : p

I purchased my WSM and it arrived fast and all parts accounted for, no issues whatsoever. Amazing has a great return policy and Weber offers great customer service, last I checked.

If the gf won't dump you over it, I'd say do-et!!!

Last edited:
Don't forget to use the Amazon forum links to support the website!

I've not ordered a WSM from Amazon but their customer service is pretty good - I can't think you would have a bigger problem than any other outlet.

Can't help you with the GF issue. Maybe she can be swayed by your offer to cook dinner a couple nights a week on your new smoker? :)

Years ago I ordered my cooker from amazon when upgrading from what sounds like the same POS side box you have. It arrived quickly and in perfect condition.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, she says that because her family wore her out on smoked food before she moved in with me! They are responsible for getting me addicted to smoking meats!

The smoker I have now? It's old. Damper on the fire chamber is rusted and useless. No way to deal with the ash fallout as it crowds the charcoal grate and hampers oxygen flow. I can get it hot with both vents wide open but the temps only hold for 10-15 minutes max before dropping. It's aggravating to not be able to set and forget for at least an hour or 2. It's been a good smoker to learn on, though! I like it but I want something better. I want the best. I'm a mountain boy in the heart of the Appalachian Mountains and I want a Weber Smokey Mountain. Sounds like a perfect fit. :)

I will tell you since you asked...

I bought a 22.5 WSM and like you it wasn't available anywhere local so I ordered it from Amazon. When it arrived I did notice the top grill racks that I thought should be "even" with the box as you open it was instead kind of tilted and pushed down into the box

anyway, long story short when I went to assemble it the lid would not fit on the middle section. Even with some gentle bear hugs and attempts at adjustments.

So YES - for me it did arrive damaged.

BUT - I couldn't decide if I should call Amazon or Weber. So I tried Weber. and they were amazing. They did ask me to take a photo of the gap and email it, which I did. within a few hours they confirmed they would replace the middle unit, and they sent out next day air a replacement. Plus they did not require me to send back the damaged part.

I am not sure if I would of started with Amazon what would of happened. Most likely the same.

SO - I wish I could say ordering from Amazon should be worry free. But it isn't. BUT if you do have an issue don't be shy and I think they (either Weber or Amazon) will work to resolve it.

I sure do appreciate the replies!

Keith, thanks for candidly sharing your open and honest story about your experience with Amazon. Glad to hear that Weber's customer service is on point! Guess I'm just nervous is all! The 1-star reviews over there scared me, because the complainers (while far and few between) are pretty loud. I've also considered going through BBQ Guys, since they offer rewards points on purchases, but I guess I'll go through Amazon (via the affiliate link here) and hope for the best!

Troy you sound like doer type of guy, get one like I did, CL , Letgo . I looked for awhile and got 18.5 very clean in fact so clean I did not have to clean it at all. The best part it was about half price.
I have been using it for about 5 years now and love it. Great temp controle and very solid steady temps.
Look find an aquire.

Not trying to undercut Amazon, but be sure to include Craigslist in your searches. I've seen a few good bargains on that site if you're strapped for cash.

Last edited:
I appreciate the CL recommendations! However, no WSMs are for sale anywhere near me, unfortunately. I also live in a pretty small area. I'm about an hour away from Bristol, VA/TN to be specific, albeit I've broadened my search horizons out to places like Kingsport, TN and Johnson City, TN with no luck either. I've looked around the last couple of weeks.

I'm typically not much of a materialistic guy; I love to travel, consume copious amounts of caffeine, enjoy being outside (kicking back on the porch after mowing the yard is a joy) and definitely enjoy delicious food. With that said, I've saved up enough money to be able to afford the WSM. Funny thing is, I just bought the grill I've been wanting for the last year a couple weeks ago as it was on sale (not a Weber), and now I'm ready to buy my first Weber with the WSM! I'll still keep my eyes peeled if I can find one somewhere discounted, but as of now I'm gonna order one from Amazon in two Mondays from now and get it good and seasoned up soon! :D

Last edited:
I purchased both my Performer and my first WSM on Amazon, and I had no issues. My second WSM was purchased at a local garden store, on an "emergency" basis. Also no issues. Sometimes I think those with problems get the most attention.

I purchased both my Performer and my first WSM on Amazon, and I had no issues. My second WSM was purchased at a local garden store, on an "emergency" basis. Also no issues. Sometimes I think those with problems get the most attention.
Thanks for commenting with your thoughts! Hope I encounter the same luck as you with Amazon.

I was very lucky, I got my WSM from a TVWBB member who was kind enough to go out of his way to save me some travel time on my way for a visit with my sisters. The best part is it was "pre seasoned" ready to fire and feast! Like I say, I was lucky and waited for the 18.5 I had wanted and my patience was rewarded!

I was very lucky, I got my WSM from a TVWBB member who was kind enough to go out of his way to save me some travel time on my way for a visit with my sisters. The best part is it was "pre seasoned" ready to fire and feast! Like I say, I was lucky and waited for the 18.5 I had wanted and my patience was rewarded!
Thanks for sharing that! Sounds pretty awesome! That's definitely some nice luck. This forum, in my short time here, looks and sounds fantastic based on the community, and I can't wait to become a little more 'official' as a member in the coming weeks when I get my WSM. In a few of my other hobbies that I enjoy, there's toxic members of such communities for whatever reason. Something about barbecuing doesn't seem to bring that same kind of poison among a group!

Troy,
I had my hand held through my first Brisket cook by three members! I felt like a whining little whelp but, no one gave me a hard time, nothing but helpful suggestions. The most important was "Sit back down, find an agreeable beverage, be patient and, DON'T PEEK!" Just let it ride for thirteen hours and be happy with the result!
I've made a couple of good friends through this site, it amazes me that I had support from Texas, Arizona and Scotland for that cook. Without Chris running this carnival I probably would never have taken the step to the WSM. Only five cooks so far but, each one has been a learning experience and they've all tasted great!

I purchased a new WSM 18" "Classic" from Amazon.Com in the year 2008 and it arrived here in Costa Rica in perfect shape. It has been one of my BEST BUYS on Amazon.com and is still cooking-up some good BBQ as of today!

I think your WSM will make you very happy for many years to come.
BTW, I lived in Roanoke for about 20 years and traveled in my job everywhere from Lynchburg to the far western tip of VA, and quite a bit of WV, so wherever in Southwest Virginia you are, I've probably been there.

Buy new and get the piece of mind. If you want to keep it forever, then its worth it. But, like Rusty James says...Craigslist is a great outlet for Used WSM's. Cash is KING and deals can be had. You don't need to low ball, just get a feel for the used market. I told my wife I am looking for an 18.5" or 22.5" WSM...whichever I can get a better deal on and will work out best for our family in the long run is what I am going to buy.

One deal that almost happened was a nearly new 22.5" (cooked on one time). We were $25 apart. They wouldn't come down and I couldn't go up any more. I had cash and was going to make it happen. I figured if I was going to spend any more I could get a new 22.5" with the piece of mind of a receipt (and return if necessary). Another deal I sort of passed on was a guy had an older 22.5" Kettle and an older 22.5" WSM for $175. I used to live around the corner so we chewed the fat. But I moved out of the area and there were too many unknowns. They were used in comps over 8 years and showed their miles. WSM was out of round, had rust, needed work, etc. Someone else jumped in and snagged it. I was ok with it, because I wasn't happy with the deal. At the end of the day it all comes down to what you feel comfortable paying for a WSM...but be prepared to pull the trigger quickly if you find something great! I got my 3 year old 18.5" last Friday for $80 because a lady was desperate to get rid of it. It just needed a new door and latch. Boom...so a $130 for an upgraded SS Cajun Bandit door & latch, nearly new unit, and in excellent condition. It's so nice that every time I look at it I smile.

My advice if you go used....do your homework. Realize what (if anything) needs to be fixed and how that should factor into the price.

Weber's are like buses...there is always another one coming around (unless its a Ranch Kettle for a screamin' deal...those things are hard as hell to find used).

Cheers.

Last edited:
I think your WSM will make you very happy for many years to come.
BTW, I lived in Roanoke for about 20 years and traveled in my job everywhere from Lynchburg to the far western tip of VA, and quite a bit of WV, so wherever in Southwest Virginia you are, I've probably been there.

Beautiful country. I have friends in Dublin, and I've spent some time in Marion, St. Pauls, Coburn and a few other places.

Back