How do YOU store your charcoal?

RussL

TVWBB Member
So as I look forward to picking up my first charcoal grill, I'm struck by the fact that without a garage, I'm really lacking in space to store briquettes if there is a nice deal going on somewhere.

And so I ask you, the members of the interwebs and all things fire, what would you use in my situation?

Thank you all.

Since you do not have a storage for the charcoal, AND you're looking to get a charcoal grill, take a look at the Performer Premium or Deluxe. They come with a side table and charcoal storage bin. I don't foresee you piling 6 bags in there, but it can hold some.

Since you do not have a storage for the charcoal, AND you're looking to get a charcoal grill, take a look at the Performer Premium or Deluxe. They come with a side table and charcoal storage bin. I don't foresee you piling 6 bags in there, but it can hold some.

That is actually the plan. I'm picking one up tomorrow night. I'm hoping to hear about someone re purposing a storage bin of some sort.

I use a regular Rubber Maid storage tub with locking handles. Store under my prep table outside with no issues. I am in Florida where we "drink" our air! No issues with humidity at all. I store briquettes as well as lump for my Kamado.

I keep my extra bags in the back section of my garage. It's very dry in this spot. I keep my open bag of charcoal outside in a Kingsford charcoal "kaddy." The stickers on the "kaddy" faded within days, but the rest of the "kaddy" is holding up very well after 3-4 years. It seals well in my experience. I think I paid $15 for it at Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00HQE1QT2/tvwb-20

I keep my extra bags in the back section of my garage. It's very dry in this spot. I keep my open bag of charcoal outside in a Kingsford charcoal "kaddy." The stickers on the "kaddy" faded within days, but the rest of the "kaddy" is holding up very well after 3-4 years. It seals well in my experience. I think I paid $15 for it at Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00HQE1QT2/tvwb-20

Oh nice, might scoop up one of those. I've been just rolling the tops down on my open bags.

I store mine in a small shed along with most of my grilling stuff and my smoking wood, I can get about 26 bags of kingsford in it along with the rest of the stuff. I have a "Kaddy" that I keep on the patio with a bag of charcoal and refill as needed.
DSCN5899_zpsdiho6pgh.jpg

Full bags, I stack on an old pallet in the garage, one open bag is always in the Kingsford Kaddy, mine has to be almost ten years old, lives outside most of the time except when the snow is getting deep. I'm considering getting a couple extras. One for the sister in laws cottage and a spare for home, the original one can't last forever and prices do not go down!

Those kaddy things never lasted long for me. Seemed after a few years the plastic got brittle. Get some buckets from lowes or hd with lids. But mostly I just leave it in the bags and roll the bag down and use a clamp to keep it closed. I use buckets for my smoking wood and other odds and ends.

I have a old plate on the wood floor in my yard shed 12x24 stays very dry easy to get to,had 600 plus pounds at one time.

Unfortunately, I have a mouse problem in the garage so I'm currently using cheap 32 gallon recycling bins from Lowe's that were about 12 bucks a pop.. Each one holds about 5 full bags so not a bad deal

Haha, a cat isn't a bad idea save for all the residual car chemicals around here... Which is probably a good reason to keep them sealed up anyway

Someone here had an issue with the neighborhood cats using his CI skillets as littler boxes, not so fond of the cleaning project that cat habitation might present.
I'm lucky I guess, my garage does not seem to attract too many critters

I use Coyote Urine for pest control. It even keeps away the skunks and coons. FYI, I saw a red fox run across my property yesterday. It stopped when I opened the door. Two years ago one came out of the tree line about 20 feet from me (2 nights in a row). We just stood there looking at each other for about 10 seconds before it took off. Last year a doe came out of the woods when me and my great granddaughter were riding the mower. I turned the mower off as we stared each other down. She was impressed and "Papa" was a hero. ; ' )

Back