Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do YOU store your charcoal?

TVWBB Member

How do YOU store your charcoal?

So as I look forward to picking up my first charcoal grill, I'm struck by the fact that without a garage, I'm really lacking in space to store briquettes if there is a nice deal going on somewhere.

And so I ask you, the members of the interwebs and all things fire, what would you use in my situation?

Thank you all.

TVWBB Member
    Since you do not have a storage for the charcoal, AND you're looking to get a charcoal grill, take a look at the Performer Premium or Deluxe. They come with a side table and charcoal storage bin. I don't foresee you piling 6 bags in there, but it can hold some.
    2015 Weber Genesis 3 Burner - Weber 22" Green Premium Kettle - Weber 22" Black Herb Garden Kettle (in the works) - 2006 Smokey Mountain 18.5"

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianJ View Post
    Since you do not have a storage for the charcoal, AND you're looking to get a charcoal grill, take a look at the Performer Premium or Deluxe. They come with a side table and charcoal storage bin. I don't foresee you piling 6 bags in there, but it can hold some.
    That is actually the plan. I'm picking one up tomorrow night. I'm hoping to hear about someone re purposing a storage bin of some sort.

Closed Account
    I use a regular Rubber Maid storage tub with locking handles. Store under my prep table outside with no issues. I am in Florida where we "drink" our air! No issues with humidity at all. I store briquettes as well as lump for my Kamado.

I keep my extra bags in the back section of my garage. It's very dry in this spot. I keep my open bag of charcoal outside in a Kingsford charcoal "kaddy." The stickers on the "kaddy" faded within days, but the rest of the "kaddy" is holding up very well after 3-4 years. It seals well in my experience. I think I paid $15 for it at Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...QE1QT2/tvwb-20
    26.75 Kettle , Smokey Joe Silver, Jumbo Joe, and 18.5" WSM

Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    I keep my extra bags in the back section of my garage. It's very dry in this spot. I keep my open bag of charcoal outside in a Kingsford charcoal "kaddy." The stickers on the "kaddy" faded within days, but the rest of the "kaddy" is holding up very well after 3-4 years. It seals well in my experience. I think I paid $15 for it at Lowes.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...QE1QT2/tvwb-20
    Oh nice, might scoop up one of those. I've been just rolling the tops down on my open bags.

I store mine in a small shed along with most of my grilling stuff and my smoking wood, I can get about 26 bags of kingsford in it along with the rest of the stuff. I have a "Kaddy" that I keep on the patio with a bag of charcoal and refill as needed.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Full bags, I stack on an old pallet in the garage, one open bag is always in the Kingsford Kaddy, mine has to be almost ten years old, lives outside most of the time except when the snow is getting deep. I'm considering getting a couple extras. One for the sister in laws cottage and a spare for home, the original one can't last forever and prices do not go down!
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Olympian
    Those kaddy things never lasted long for me. Seemed after a few years the plastic got brittle. Get some buckets from lowes or hd with lids. But mostly I just leave it in the bags and roll the bag down and use a clamp to keep it closed. I use buckets for my smoking wood and other odds and ends.

In the fall, I sometimes do. "Big buy" and store them in my wife's Jeep, they help with traction.....for a while.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast