Feeding 40 people

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
My son's first birthday is coming up in June and I'm trying to plan food.
for his baptism we order trays of food primarily since we had the church service right before and couldn't cook. This time for his birthday, we can do the food ourselves. Some people think I'm a little crazy for wanting to cook for that many, but I feel like this should be doable, people have done it. However, I don't wnt to be chained to the grill for the entire party so simple and prepped cooking is key.

I'm looking for menu and portion suggestions. Its 40 people, maybe more, maybe less, but it shouldn't be 25 or 100. Keep in mind these are picky NYers so not everyone eats everything, specifically pork and beef.

Pulled Pork
I was thinking I could do pulled pork as one of the mains, maybe 2-3 butts in my smoker starting the day before.
that way that is done before anyone shows up.

Chicken
Definitely need to service chicken since there are non-beef/pork eaters. Debating about doing chicken drums/thighs or just grilled chicken cutlets or both. Cutlets are easy and probably preferable to some. Seems very uninteresting to me every time I do it. thoughts?

Beef maybe in addition to the pulled pork and chicken.
So the pulled pork and chicken may or may not be enough. I was debating about getting some flank steaks and grilling them up, cutting into strips. Not sure the work effort there or how much to do. grilling is probably easy, its the cutting up for that many people, and not sure on the cost.

Burgers and dogs
Haven't decided here, but I'd probably plan on doing burgers and dogs for the kids. Was trying to get away from doing it for the adults since again, everyone seems to do this in the summer and I feel its a bit boring.

Sausage
was debating about doing this instead of the steak as its easy to do for a large group. However, I'm not sure if this is too similar to the pulled pork and not a viable alternative. Maybe this helps me skip the burgers and dogs, I dunno.

As you can see from my sig, my current arsenal includes a WSM, a performer and a Genesis gold. I may be getting an SE-410 or LX440 before then. I think I have enough space to cook this stuff if I get the pork done before the party.

as sides I was going to do a cous cous salad, a tuna salad and a green salad.

Not that this is a competition, t other people in my area/family generally have these types of things in restaurants, or at least in a KoC hall with catered food. So I am trying to go a bit nicer than just burgers and dogs.
Anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited:
I like the flank steak idea. Maybe a chimichurri sauce you can make ahead and serve on the side?

I cannot offer invaluable insight--as I have not done a cook for this large of a crowd--so I suppose this is like reading a review on Amazon from someone whom bought a product but has yet to use it but I do often smoke pork shoulders. Then I pull them and freeze in manageable sizes in [generic] Foodsaver bags. Occasionally, we serve a dozen at home and simply place x frozen bags in a large pot of boiling water. Or if time is tight and we're in the mood we will pull-out a 1-2 lb package and heat it the same way for our family dinner. We are not snobs, lol, and everyone whom likes pulled pork enjoys it just fine. I recognize your remark about needing to serve a variety of meat but if you get in a time crunch perhaps this could be some food for thought. And if you are not already aware, Amazing Ribs offers keen insight on party planning. Here is one link but there are several others within their site: http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/party_planning.html

And I also remember there is a recent thread Cooking for a Wedding with 150 People and within it Len Dennis led the OP to a thread where exists a formula (albeit for pulled pork again): https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69724-Cooking-for-a-wedding-with-150-people!!!-Needing-some-help

Happy Birthday to your son and good luck!

Chris, 40 is going to seem simple in ten years!
Three or four butts can be done that day before pulled and panned with a splash of apple juice or something to keep it moist. I like the flank steak idea, easily marinated, cooks and slices easily. The chicken will be the sticking point, how much chicken do you think you want? Do you have the ability to rotisserie cook a couple? Those can be pretty much "cleaver portioned". Otherwise, I might say the indirect method on the performer will give you a nice way to do quite a few drumsticks with little fuss.
That's a menu I'd do without much worry, sausages could be done the same way on the performer but, three meats is grand!
I do two butts for a group of twenty with the idea that some will find its way home with guests, two (or 3) is not beyond.

I'd do pulled pork on a bun and and pulled chicken on a bun. Then you can offer hamburgers ( they use the same buns!) for the kids that don't do pulled pork or chicken. Although I say if they wont eat the pork or chicken, they wont starve missing one protein at a meal.

Just grill a bunch of bone less skinless chicken breasts the day before and chuck them in a kitchen aid with a paddle attachment. Instant pulled chicken. OR grill up whole birds, de-bone and give them the kitchen aid treatment.

Now you have simplified your life greatly. You only need 1 type of bread product. Most of the cooking can be done the day before, burgers can be cooked from frozen saving waste there.

It is YOUR party that YOU are hosting. You are not a restaurant, serve what YOU like and actually enjoy the day.

I'd go along with the pulled chicken if you are attracted to it, the attraction of the chicken to me, is the crispy skin. A bunch of thighs would be easy enough and provide the difference in texture and presentation, the flank steak will cook in twelve minutes the day of, stagger them about five minutes apart. Then you can slice them easily into a half pan as quickly as needed, if you have a whole one left, there's the next days dinner with minimum fuss.

If you have not done this before, try to keep it simple so it will be easier for you to grill and control. How about trying marinated boneless chicken breasts, sausage, maybe Italian
or smoked Polish, and burgers. That should satisfy everyone, and keep the cooking easier for you to control your first time for a crowd. Have fun with your party!

I'm in the boat with making the pulled chicken and pulled pork the day prior, then make burgers at the party. Andrew F is right, same buns can be used for all of them. You were smart to start planning ahead of time. I had a party of ~30 here a few weeks ago and everyone brought their own protein for me to grill. It worked out but was a pain not knowing what was coming and when and how much. It sure was fun, but I spent most of the party manning the grill, and that's not how it should be. Enjoy yourself!

If chicken's on the menu it might be a good idea to offer some dark meat as well; I see B/S thighs in the stores from time to time although not as often as the breasts. For pulled chicken I'd use a 50/50 mix for more flavor.

I cooked for 30 people earlier this year and I did pork butts (20 lbs.) and thinly sliced sirloin tip steaks (15 lbs.). The plan was to cook the whole tip roasts and then slice them afterward but the guys in the meat department misunderstood me and sliced them while they were still raw, but they grilled super fast (15 lbs. of thin steaks means a LOT of steaks) and I kept them warm in a Nesco roaster with a some added au jus.

If there are going to be some vegetarians/vegans at the party, zucchini planks don't take long to grill if you salt them ahead of time to draw out some of the moisture. Tomatoes work well, too, and they can also be great as sides.

I did a thing like yours Brian, everyone brought a dish to pass and a protein for the grill but I had four grills running and 200 people talk about a one legged man at a Butt kicking contest! I had three sidemen t helped but, I had my hands full.
A Ranch Kettle would have been a BIG help but, three 22's and an 18 worked well enough. I wanted New feet by the end of the day!

I did pork loins for a wedding I catered, I believe I did four whole (eight halves) for 150 people. They are an easy product to handle, season, roast indirect (or on the WSM) slice and you are finished! I love them. Usually not prohibitively expensive either.
I make a nice apricot/red pepper jelly to serve with that or offer a basic red barbecue such or a Carolina mustard sauce. University of KY used to run a pork chop sandwich booth at a bluegrass music festival that was more a very thin vinegar mustard seed, brown sugar "splashy" sauce that was fantastic, I think Paula Deen had one very close on her show once upon a time. I might have it if I wasn't too lazy to loook for it I'd share. Damn, just had lunch, the hotdog thread made me want one of those, not I want a pork chop sandwich! My doctor is going to make me stop looking at this site!
Chris, PM me of you want the sauce recipe, I think I know where it is.

40 ppl with 3 or 4 proteins is actually pretty easy. Do 2 butts the day before for the pulled pork. Reheat in bags or in 1/2 pans Get 10 boneless chicken breasts from the grocer. At home, lay out a sheet of wax paper and grab a meat mallet, a coffee mug, or something somewhat heavy. Lay a chickenbreast on the wax paper and cover with another sheet. Pound the thickest part of the chicken to get it to match the thinner side. Don't go overboard here. You aren't trying to pound the whole thing into a thin cutlet. What you are aiming for is consistency from one side to the other. After you do this, grab your knife and cut the breast down into smaller portions. Usually that will be 2 pieces, but sometimes, I even do three pieces on really big breasts.

About 3 hours before serving time, place the chicken in gallon zip lock bags and add in a bottle of zesty Italian dressing. Add a couple of good shakes of Worcesteshire sauce to the mix. Seal the bag and roll it around / shake it to get a nice mix. Unzip, remove as much air as possible, then reseal the bag.

Add in 15 burgers and a pack or two of hotdogs and you are set. The entire cook can be done on the Performer. Fire up a large chimney and dump it on one side of the grill. Spread the coals out to cover 1/2 the cooking surface. Put your grate back on and throw the chicken pieces on to direct grill. About the time you get the last piece of chicken on, it's probably time to start turning the chicken that went on first. All you are looking to do is here to get some color and some grill marks. IF nothing is ready to flip yet, put the lid down for a min or two then check again. Flip the chicken once to get the same nice color and grill marks on the other side. Then, move the chicken to the other side of the grate to finish indirectly. At this point, place the burgers and dogs over the direct heat. Put the lid back on for some covered cooking. remove lid to flip burgers and turn dogs as needed. Bring all food off the grill when it's done.

Simple, easy.

Thanks for the replies guys. It gives me stuff to think about. I was thinking again and will likely do what Dave is suggesting on the chicken, I've done it before, why not do it again. Its easy and people like it.

I definitely think I want to do the pulled pork as I can get that done ahead of time and not have to worry.

May consider doing drums on the performer to add to it (and possibly have an excuse to buy a Vortex), or do the flank steak idea. Probably 1 or the other if I end up doing burgers and dogs.

ideally, I think I"ll have 2 grills going, I'm still learning the charcoal grill. I've so far lit a weber chimney on fire, melted a glove to the lid, had a bunch of lump fall through the charcoal grate and some in the ash catcher. I've had some decent burgers so far, a slightly overcooked ribeye, OK sausage, and some struggle on drumsticks.

Late to the party here I know...but I may be of help to someone for ideas later on?

I've been the primary meat end of the menu provider for a yearly party of a good friend. Usually 100 - 120 people show up.

I'll get at least 4 good size butts ready for pulling, resting in coolers to mellow through. I've somewhat perfected the 22 hour smoke on my WSMs, no problems with timing for the service. These'll rest in coolers for quite a few hours packed correctly.

One of the previous replies recommended the Roadside Chicken recipe...I'll get a mass of chicken thighs trimmed and "prettied" as if I were doing a competition, then use the Roadside marinade. Usually let them sit in the marinade overnight in large ziplock bags, packed in a cooler with bags of ice top and bottom. I'll set up a WSM with the charcoal ring half full, then dump in a full lit chimney. Assemble the smoker, add the water pan with cold water. Start laying out the thighs on the bottom rack, then use three 2" spacers (I've got a bunch of cut maple tree branches for this process, after losing the bunch of tomato past cans I had saved up for this purpose). Add another rack, place another layer of chicken, add three more spacers, another rack, place chicken, etc. You can get a lot of thighs in the WSM this way, and the internal temp is easy to maintain. Add smoking chunks if you wish, not too many. I've been able to get excellent results with crispy skin this way. Remember to baste the top layer often (quickly, keep the grill closed as much as possible), it'll drip through the layers.

Nearing the food presentation time get some volunteers to pull the pork. Kids are actually pretty good at this, using plain old kitchen forks.

One year I got a big beef clod and did a pulled beef. This worked well, but the consensus was the chicken and pork fit the need.

Got this routine worked out well enough that I've been doing onion rings, stuffed jalapeños, scotch eggs, teriyaki beef and chicken on skewers, other appetizers in play also. Lots of prep, but the cooking goes easy.

I do have multiple WSMs (usually at least 3 in play for this party, sometimes 4 or 5 for convenience). Might have a kettle or two going to, along with a 60" Big John type charcoal/wood grill going for keeping pots of food warm, last minute crisping, hot water for dipping tongs into for quick cleaning.

The key is prepping and organizing. And keep everybody away from the grills and food preparation areas. They mean well, but.....

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Final menu has been set. Food is going to be bought over the next few days as I didn't want to freeze and thaw.

Going to do
-pulled pork, 2 maybe 3 butts depending on size, trying for around 20lbs-25lbs
-20 chicken cutlet breasts. cut in half, marinated in Italian dressing, I've done it before, people love it, I find it boring but whatever.
-1 try of Pasta Primavera (as a side and for the vegetarian folks, poor misguided souls)
-3 rings of Kilbasi as an appetizer
kielbasa1_farm2kitchen-550x309.jpg

-1 large pretzel platter
Stix-Tray-Strip-In-2288-lowres-1300x867.jpg

-chicken nuggets

We're at 33-35 people plus 7 or 8 kids. I think we'll have enough, If not we'll get some pizza.

Sounds like a great plan. If you want to change things up slightly on the chicken to make it less boring, add 2 or 3 good shakes of Worcestershire sauce to a bottle of Italian. Just don't go crazy on it.

I wanted to circle back now that I had the party. Overall I think it went well. We had WAY too much food for a number of reasons. It rained which put a bit of a damper on things. It started about 30 minutes before the party (after everything was set up). It stopped during the party, so some people went outside.

1) we had a no shows. Also we had some people who RSVPed yes, but then were really just 1 hour drop ins. The end result was between both factors, we lost 1 kid, and 10 adults from our count. So we went from 35/7 down to 25/6

2) I errored on the side of more pork and went with 21 lbs of pork, 3 shoulders. That was probably too much for 35 people. It was way too much for 25 people, then of those a bunch didn't eat pork. I ended up with 2/3s of it left over.

3) chicken I marinated about 13 lbs of chicken, which worked out to be around 40 pieces. That was the right amount for 35 people and the kids, we only had left overs due to the no shows.

The pretzels were a hit, the Kilbasi we served 2 rings and that mostly went (it normally does).

I did my first overnight cook with the pork shoulders. i made 1 critical mistake at the beginning and I continued to pay for it for the rest of the cook. I lit too many coals to start the cooker, which in turn, lit a lot of the ring (minion method). Temps skyrocketed at the beginning. I had to remove lit coals to bring temp down and by then, a lot were lit. I didn't replenish enough, so at 4AM I had to go out again, then at 630, I had to add more charcoal with a chimney.

I cooked the chicken on the new S-440 I got. All I can say is freakin awesome. It doesn't get quite as hot as my old genesis, but it more than makes up for it in even nice heat without flare-ups. Not that grilled chicken is super complicated (it isn't). But no blackened pieces, all pieces done evenly throughout and juicy. Its also fantastic to have the capacity to cook that much.

I should have taken pictures, but with active raining when pulling the pork off, combined with the active raining when we were cooking the Kilbasi and chicken, it really didn't come to mind until it was too late.

Thanks for letting us know how it went. Now you have a good base of how to handle feeding a load of people. Make sure you make notes so you can reference them in the future. Sounds like even with the rain it was a sucessful cook!! Nice Job!!

Great job for your first time cooking for a larger crowd! I understand about the no-shows, too...but at least you wound up with leftovers for yourself.

Photos are nice but the food's always more important, especially when there's a lot of it. You had your priorities in order!

Back