Summit S-660

Jeff Gwaltney

Hi all
Have visited for a while and beginning to learn - just joined forum and see ots of great info and Grill-Masters here looking forward to learning from you all

Quick question - had been thinking that based on budget and need I'd be getting a Genesis EP-410 SE (like the stainless innards) as was trying to stay around $1k max incl tax..(EP-410 SE runs $949 + tax). We have nat gas hookup on deck and currently use a 30 year old Broil King cast iron nat gas (that we've kept up w burner and grate replacement)

Then I come across what seems to be a needle in haystack deal to consider. A brand new, still in box Summit S-660 bought at auction (S-660 is the slide in built in, but on casters version of the S-670, same as 670, just no side shelves or side burner, all else identical) for $1200. S-660 everywhere I check incl Amazon, sells for $2700-$2900.

Know seems pretty obvious but is there something I'm overlooking? Thoughts on a new built in US Summit S-660 6-burner with rotisserie, rot burner smoker box and smoker burner for $1200 net no tax vs $1050 for the Genesis EP-410 SE built in China?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff in Nash-Vegas

I don't think you're missing much really.

I'm surprised that the normal selling price is higher on the 660 than the 670. I've had a dealer offer me the 670 for a little under $2K.

2 things that would give me a bit of pause to consider.
Do you want a side burner? there is none
How does it look not built in? will you now build it in? what is the extra cost in that? Basically if it were me, I'd want to build it into an island even if its a small one. And there would be extra cost in that. Not saying that its a show stopper, but something to consider.

The SE-410 is $949 at most places advertised. I've had a dealer offer it to me for $100 less in the showroom.

Thx Chris
Prob would eventually build in but not for couple years so yes would be freestanding for a while. Not sure about side burner as I've never had one...seems so me say they never use and others like having and use so don't know on that one

But getting a Summit at a agency price is enticing

Seems like a no brainer to me. Grab the 660 and until you decide how to handle building it in get some decorative sheet metal attach to the sides and tada. If you need casters add them. As for the "made in China difference" it's not that much since I'll lay odds the only parts on that 660 not made in china are the metal stampings (lid, doors etc.). Weber has been doing some drastic cheapening of the entire product line for quite some time. Even the newer (front control Genesis line). When my sister bought one a few years back I put it together for her. I was amazed how many of the boxes and parts were labeled "Made in China". The manifold, grates, basically everything. Only the boxes containing stampings were showing Made in USA. So honestly things are not the same as they used to be.
Back to your dilemma, that 660 is a WAY better deal and grill than the Genesis II especially at the price point you have there

I don't know where you live and how much of a concern rust is to you but based on what I've read a lot of the summit models have sheet metal in the fire box. Sheet metal can last a number of years but eventually succumbs to rust. Especially in certain parts of the country.

My old Kenmore grill had a sheet metal fire box and lasted about 5 years before the fire box rusted through. My understanding is ALL the genesis models are cast aluminium and are almost indestructible. I know that's the case on my 20+ and 15 year old genesis grills. I've looked at the new genesis and the fire box on it is cast aluminum but at least slightly thinner than on the older models.

I don't know if the model you are looking at is sheet metal or not? I just know it's a concern on some models from what I've read on here.

Other than that issue which may or may not be of concern to you - the summit is a higher end grill.

I picked up a used S-670 from Clist for $550, but I looked for about 6 months to a year. I'm tellin' ya, I absolutely love it. I just HAD to have a side burner but I rarely use it- it is nice to have when I need it though. That was the same general consensus on here when I was looking too but I didn't accept it, and I'd probably still try to find one with a side burner again, but for the right price, it wouldn't break the deal (now that is a run on sentence!).

So the S-660 sold at $1500 - I'm not willing to go that high - and I don't want to have to build an island for the s-660 built it

but...have located a (freestanding) s-450 (I think it's a 450, because it does not have the sear burner, or the built in rotisserie) - but does have both the rotisserie burner and the smoker box/burner along w 4 standard burners...says his dad bought new 4 or so years ago (I think longer than that since a s-450) for about $1300. He's asking $750 but said would take $500 as bottom price

Thoughts

Back