Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So my first comp is in the books...

Way to go Zak and team! I know that feeling. Me my wife and another couple years ago pulled off a first place in a chili cook off on our first ever attempt, just mind blowing.
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Congrats. Just joined the forum. Not far from you in Dyersville. If you are looking for a ribs competition. Dyersville has one at commercial park June 24th. Dry and wet ribs turned in for $40 per entry. No garnish in boxes type of deal.

I'm curious after looking at your pictures if all the cords are for temp gauges for meat?

Just got a weber smoker this spring. Are the Cajun bandit upgrades worth doing? The door? Lid hinge? Looked like you had them added.

Congrats again. It looks like you know what you are doing. Especially the preparation shown in pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by ZacMiller View Post
    Thanks everyone really! I've been scouting a few small local comps no more then 25 teams, but not soon enough I'm ready to go at it again and see if I just got lucky lol ��
    First of all a big congratulations! Second, NO YOU DID NOT GET LUCKY! You said you practiced and worked hard so that is not luck. Bob Bass said it best "stick to your plan" and "don't change a thing". What I've learned so far is that BBQ is just like golf.......I know, but let me explain lol! Good golf is boring golf. It's the same thing over and over and over.......until it's flat out routine. It's the consistency that leads to details not missed and this will lead to wins. Hats off to you and best wishes for continued success.

On a side note I see you have a couple of WSM's and a drum smoker. If you don't mind my asking is there a designated smoker for a particular meat? The reason I ask is that I am deciding whether to add another WSM or a drum smoker instead.
    TroyS
    Smokin' Stars BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by TroyS View Post
    First of all a big congratulations! Second, NO YOU DID NOT GET LUCKY! You said you practiced and worked hard so that is not luck. Bob Bass said it best "stick to your plan" and "don't change a thing". What I've learned so far is that BBQ is just like golf.......I know, but let me explain lol! Good golf is boring golf. It's the same thing over and over and over.......until it's flat out routine. It's the consistency that leads to details not missed and this will lead to wins. Hats off to you and best wishes for continued success.

On a side note I see you have a couple of WSM's and a drum smoker. If you don't mind my asking is there a designated smoker for a particular meat? The reason I ask is that I am deciding whether to add another WSM or a drum smoker instead.
    yes I run all my other meats on the WSM's. I use the can stickily for chicken. I've been practicing the hot/fast method on the other meats on the can with what I consider great results but don't feel confident in competing with them yet. I think the can is awesome and use it quite often, if its in the budget id recommend picking one up
    1 Weber OTG 26" 1 Weber OTG 18.5" 1 Weber Pimped out Smokey Joe Gold 2 Weber WSM 22" 1 Weber WSM 14.5 3 BBQ Guru Lime Green Thermopen MK4

Bought a drum smoker last Thursday. Local culinary business has them brought in from a custom builder. 55 gal drum with internals and vertical stacks. Will season it this week.
    TroyS
    Smokin' Stars BBQ

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12