Summit S470 Find

Tim G

Hello Everyone,

New to the forums here and thank you for having me. I am always on the lookout for any type of Weber that could use a little fixing up. We all know someone in need of a grill and sometimes the used Webers are the best option. I constantly check CL, yard sales and sidewalks. I have a couple of Genesis 1000's (blacktop and redtop) and a Q. I've had the 2 - 1000's for approx 20 years, The Red Top was a gift to my parents and didn't make the move to FL with them so I got it back, and the Black one I bought with my first house in 1997. Restored the Redtop about 5 years ago and moved it down to the cape last year as I restored the Blacktop last summer. So I've never had a Weber grill with all the bells and whistles and I'm always thinking about what I am missing out on for cooking. It is hard to come up with the $1300 - $2000 to spend on one so I keep a watchful eye. I have seen a few CL specials only to be disappointed when I show up and the grill is gone.
Well, last week I leave my house to go to work, running a little late, and 2 houses down from me I spot a "Free" sign on a stainless grill as I drive by. I caught the Weber logo and but did not see much else, at a glance it looked rough. I needed to get to work so I kept going and the entire ride I kept wondering if it would be there when I got home. I couldn't get it out of my head so I took and early lunch and drove back. Walked up from my house and there is was, a Summit S470 that looked beat up to most but had what I I've been missing. I wheeled it home down the side walk, grabbed my tank and lit her up. I was very happy! The entire top halt was in good working order, grates, bars, smoker box, rotisserie motor, side burner all worked like it should.
Cosmetically it has some issues, bottom panel rusted out, no doors, side panels rusty (door hinge mounts broken off), back panel just some surface rust, left toolbar holder chrome flaking off, back light button broken, missing drip pan, and rotisserie bar missing, but these can all be fixed and especially when the initial cost is $0. I called Weber for replacements and good for me it was not registered, she gave me the approx 50% off pricing for all my parts totaling $390. I can't wait to get into replacing the parts and cleaning it up and I will have basically a brand new S470 for $400.
I probably should have ordered the back panel as well and it would have been a brand new lower half. I was a little shocked at how bad the rust was but I've read it happens a lot to these (doesn't mean it should happen).
Now I have to find a grey colored paint that matches the new sides and bottom panel. Anyone have success repainting these panels with the same color?? Also have to figure out how to deal with the handle area where it connects to the top peeling, any thoughts??
Here are a few picks of what it looked like when I got it and a couple picks after I cleaned a little of the stainless.

IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah156/t6gman/Iphone%20May%2010%202017%20018_zps0oomv3nx.jpg[/IMG]
IMG]http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah156/t6gman/Iphone%20May%2015%202017%20010_zpsqrqz2k8o.jpg[/IMG]

What a great grill that will be for you. Every time I see these kind of posts I think someday I will find a jewel out there! Nice job.

I wonder about using the stuff that they use on truck bed liners on the replacement bottom panel? Or, since that's the spot where the tank sits(isn't it?) use one of the rubber or plastic bases to keep the condensation from the bottom of the tank from settling on the panel.
Very happy to see this got a good home and didn't end up in a landfill!

I was thinking the same thing about spray on bed liner, this grill happens to be a Natural gas and I think the LP bottom panels have a cut out area for the tank. When I piece it all together I may just throw a plant pot base under it for now.

Great score! I have a similar s470 that I have not yet brought home because it's somewhat buried in the yard at the shop but seems to be complete and all the valves move freely.. I'm looking forward to bringing it back to life and putting it through its paces.. Definitely filthy and has been sitting a couple years.. Also just got in an s620 with a bad frame and valves but I have enough valve take offs from customers that replaced the whole manifold that I should be able to restore for minimal cost.. Getting any decent weber for free is great, but even more so when it's a current model and top end at that!

Last edited:

Back