First Ever Rib Roast and it Was Great

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Did what I thought was a two bone rib roast, but it was a 4 1/2 pound one bone roast. This was part of the whole ribeye roast I bought.
This was my first time doing a bone in rib roast.

Of course it’s super windy with gusts up to 40 mph. But it was Mother’s Day and I was not going to be denied. Did the basic recipe pepper crusted rib roast from Weber’s Smoke book.
Used the performer running at 350-360 with KBB and apple for the smoke.

Barb made some Brussels sprouts with brown butter, almonds and dill.
She did those in the house, just too much junk flying around in the air to do them outside.

Barb also made a herb steak butter that was really good

A couple of bakers on the gasser.

Pulled the roast at 125 and let it rest 20 minutes.
Both of us were really pleased with the results only thing I would change is maybe pull it at 130 instead of 125, because I didn’t do a sear on it.
100_0206_zpscnqmuied.jpg

100_0208_zpsyu7vrc52.jpg

100_0212_zpsddalfawr.jpg

100_0216_zpsdmp6toa5.jpg

100_0221_zpsnrgjju1t.jpg

100_0226_zps4olgainy.jpg

100_0229_zpsmiyv6pm6.jpg

100_0233_zpscuchubgx.jpg

100_0236_zpsmnqhz***.jpg

100_0238_zps13wg0vca.jpg

Have a great week

First ever? I bet it won't be your last, looks great Rich. Almonds with the sprouts, nice touch Barb.

Great job Rich, great bark, excellant meat color, and the plate shot has my name on it.
Cooked perfect, oh yeah nice mothers day cook.

Rich your Mother's Day rib roast turned out better than mine. I pulled at 125 but the color was not the beautiful red you got. Great job!

"Pulled the roast at 125 and let it rest 20 minutes.
Both of us were really pleased with the results only thing I would change is maybe pull it at 130 instead of 125, because I didn’t do a sear on it".

Rich, that's perfect. I wouldn't change a thing. But I like mine trying to run off the plate.

Man, did you ever get that one right! Looks great!!! Love the sides, too.
Looks like Mother had to work even though it was her day. Poor mom....

Who got the bone?

Man, did you ever get that one right! Looks great!!! Love the sides, too.
Looks like Mother had to work even though it was her day. Poor mom....

Who got the bone?

Keeping Barb out of the kitchen is like me staying out of car dealerships, ain't going to happen. Anyways I did the dishes after dinner so she could watch a movie she wanted to see.
It was a struggle between Whitney (see avatar) and Barb for the bone. Whitney's big coyote eyes and smile won out. But what the heck she was a mom too, so everyone scored.;)

Last edited:

Back