Kettle grill options

Matt Mills

TVWBB Member
Looking to add a kettle grill or jumbo joe to the lineup. Just wondering if the kettle with the ash basket is worth the extra money over a the regular kettle or jumbo joe versions. Looking forward to hear all opinions and pros and cons of these grills.

Makes cleanup easier, ashes don't tend to blow all over creation. So for me it's absolutely worth it! I have added one to my 18 as an "aftermarket" and could not be happier!
The only thing is if it rains, (a LOT) they can end up with some water in them which can be a little "funky" to deal with but, it's still worth it to me.

Last edited:
I've got a non ash catcher model that I put one on. I think the features on the ash catcher on are worth it. The hinged grate is nice as is the lid thermometer.

I agree with Dustin on the hinged grates as well as the GBS if you can. Thermometer isn't that critical for me but it is to others, I'm a KISS guy
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
It's really easy to get caught up in more complicated gizmos and gadgets but, really we are talking the application of heat to food products, it's a fairly basic concept. In the KISS method that boils down to:
High heat- cook fast
Low heat- cook slow
Now everyone know just as much as I do in theory.
The application of the theory is where the art comes in. Many times less is more.
I started to have weird quirky results after I had tried some options offered by folks on threads. I have since removed pretty much everything and gone back to basics no baffles, no heat sink bricks wrapped in foil, back to nothing more than a set of the good (304) baskets and KBB. Results have returned to as near perfection as ever.
The baskets are well worth the money, get a set, your tummy will thank you for the judicious use of the indirect method.

I think the features on the ash catcher on are worth it.

I definitely agree with Dustin. I have a JJ that I love but my go to grill is the Performer. Gas assist and not having to clean up the ashes makes it an easy decision most days.

Where I live it's almost mandatory because of the winds we have here. As much as I like the JJ I can't use it 50% of the time because of the fire danger and high winds. Plus the basket makes clean up a lot easier.

How I made my decision to get the ash catcher or just the tray. I asked myself if my Wife is going to yell at me every time I grill and its windy and ash is flying all over. I opted for the ash catcher :)

I picked up one for $25. No ash catcher or hinged grate but I may decide to add them depending on the price. Will be fun to find out what this grill can do.

Nice find for $25! You can find the grates at Walmart sometimes. Or there is a website called grillparts,com that sells them for $20 plus shipping if you ever decide to get one. Happy cooking!

Planning on cooking a pork butt on it this weekend. If it's as easy as it looks on YouTube I think it will go great.haha The WSM will be right beside it cooking 4 racks of ribs for WSM smoke day!

I was leaning towards a master touch for my mom but it wouldn't have arrived in time so have a regular performer coming Tuesday... Aside from the other features the lid bale is really helpful imo

Back