PID Help - Overshooting beginning temp

KevinE

Did an overnight smoke of a butt...working out awesome. Once the temp settled in, everything has been working out great. With that said, when I first fire up, I overshoot the temperature by 50-60 degrees.

I'm running a Vision Classic B with a new gasket and bottom vent sealed off. Below is my smoke and and settings. Any ideas on what I should change?

HM%205.14.2017.PNG

HM2.5.14.2017.PNG

Not sure if the pics are showing.

Settings:
p: 2
i: .0035
d: 6

Last edited:
Ok, let me see if I can get the pics working. Started fire with one single cotton ball soaked in 91% rubbing alcohol.

Are you using a Fan/Damper or just a fan? What are your settings for those? If using a fan/damper, I have mine set to where the fan doesn't cut on until the damper is +50% open. Also, I only run my fan at 30% max and 70% at startup. I think you'll find that if using a Kamado style smoker, you'll be able to control temp mainly with damper only. Also, I keep my top damper about pencil width open.

http://hmbbq.servebeer.com/

I'm doing a cook right now with my Akorn (Kamado Style) if you want to take a look. My PIDs are identical to yours.

Ok, got the pics working.

Yes, I am using the rotodamper. I'll give those setting a shot and see how it goes. Thank you for the feedback.

Back