New to me Camera and Some Smash Burgers.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After reading the thread in grilling about the proper tool to smash burgers I remembered I haven’t made those in a while. So I made some.

I’ve been thinking about upgrading my cheap little point and shoot for something with a few more features. Back in the day I had a Pentax, a Konica and a Cannon 35mm. Really enjoyed photography as a hobby. When I sold those I just bought a point and shoot digital.

We were at a yard sale yesterday and I found this used once Kodak P850. Although it is about 10 years old and I know that technology is light years ahead of it I thought it would be worth a shot.
I asked the guy how much he wanted for it and when he said he would take $10.00 for the whole set up, well I couldn’t resist it. Found out new in 2006 it was $495.00.

So I used it to take the pictures of the cook and it is a giant leap from the P&S.
So bear with me it’s a learning curve with it and it has a lot of different features. A lot I don’t understand in the digital world.
Also I found a PDF on the net for the owner’s manual, 109 pages, OMG!

So here’s some shots of the smash burgers and my tool to smash them.
DSCN6365_zpst2yvaiuo.jpg

Greenie gets the call
100_0164_zpsxi3g04yj.jpg

100_0174_zps9eb5096q.jpg

100_0172_zpsehsjrdva.jpg

100_0177_zpsq6ztm7wu.jpg

100_0183_zpsjl819exw.jpg

Added some pepper jack
100_0190_zps1mzi8iq7.jpg

100_0197_zps0ixapual.jpg

A rose from Barbs Mothers day flowers.
100_0162_zpsszzxi5ql.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Last edited:
Perfect pictures, picture perfect cook Rich!
Tell Barb Happy Mother's Day and give her a big hug for us!

ps, I loved my old 1 mega pickle :) Kodak.

Nice score on the camera, Rich! The burgers look fantastic....I need to figure out a griddle set up for my kettles so I can do more burgers than I can fit in my largest CI skillet comfortably.

R

Talk about Thor's hammer! That's a serious looking spatula/smasher. And you produced some very fine looking burgers with it.

Nice pics. Did you get a good crusty sear? On my first attempt--yesterday--I did not. Well, I did on my first batch but I presume that was because I closed my lid during PH of the Little Griddle; I was not satisfied with my subsequent batches. Whether it was temp related, leaving behind too much grease, or some other unknown issue I don't know, yet. I tried to be conscious about draining the grease into the channel but then again I was running 3 grills doing chicken breasts, wings, brats & dogs in addition to attempting smash burgers. I remember forgetting to season one batch, lol. This was also my second time using the Little Griddle and I don't know what temp I can expect to maintain with the lid open on my E-330.

Nice pics. Did you get a good crusty sear? On my first attempt--yesterday--I did not. Well, I did on my first batch but I presume that was because I closed my lid during PH of the Little Griddle; I was not satisfied with my subsequent batches. Whether it was temp related, leaving behind too much grease, or some other unknown issue I don't know, yet. I tried to be conscious about draining the grease into the channel but then again I was running 3 grills doing chicken breasts, wings, brats & dogs in addition to attempting smash burgers. I remember forgetting to season one batch, lol. This was also my second time using the Little Griddle and I don't know what temp I can expect to maintain with the lid open on my E-330.

I did get a nice crust. What I did was turned on all three burners on hi with the griddle on the grill. I shut the lid and left it for about 25 minutes. At that point the temperature gauge was pegged and then I cooked the burgers. That griddle was screaming hot. Worked really well.

RichG, the same company that makes Little Griddle also makes a rounded version for the kettle grills.

Nice score on the camera, Rich! The burgers look fantastic....I need to figure out a griddle set up for my kettles so I can do more burgers than I can fit in my largest CI skillet comfortably.

R

Last edited:
Nice score on the camera. My $$$$ Nikon pretty much is a dust collector anymore. Seem to use my phone for photo's anymore.

Been craving smash burgers the discada works great for them. May have to fire some up soon.

Some of those older digital cameras take better photos than some of the newer models. Camera makers try to cram too many pixels on too small a sensor now-a-days, and it reduces the image quality. I've seen comments on camera forums and places like Amazon that bear this out. I've returned two cameras because of this problem. If one is buying a camera today, buy according to sensor size first. Ideally, a sensor similar to 35mm film is your best bet, but usually, only the best digital cameras have them that size.

Last edited:
Hey Rich Dahl, did you do those Tater Tots on the griddle?

No I did not I don't think that would work very well, did them on a cookie sheet in the other gasser.

Some of those older digital cameras take better photos than some of the newer models. Camera makers try to cram too many pixels on too small a sensor now-a-days, and it reduces the image quality. I've seen comments on camera forums and places like Amazon that bear this out. I've returned two cameras because of this problem. If one is buying a camera today, buy according to sensor size first. Ideally, a sensor similar to 35mm film is your best bet, but usually, only the best digital cameras have them.

I've been searching for a new camera for a while and I was reading the same things you're saying. This Kodak I bought I believe will be fine for what I want to do. What amazed me is I just had to buy a new computer and I was afraid that the Kodak wouldn't be compatible with windows 10, but it works just fine with windows 10.
So for $10 I'm a happy camper.

I've been searching for a new camera for a while and I was reading the same things you're saying. This Kodak I bought I believe will be fine for what I want to do. What amazed me is I just had to buy a new computer and I was afraid that the Kodak wouldn't be compatible with windows 10, but it works just fine with windows 10.
So for $10 I'm a happy camper.

I believe you got a heck of a camera for $10.00. Enjoy it!

Awesome burgers Rich. A griddle and a thin burger is just how we used to get them at the drive inn. Good find on the camera. I'm not a camera person. I have a Nikon D40 (older camera) and I have tried to use it for posts but the pics were terrible! Its an interesting side hobby and one worth exploring.

Burgers look great!

I'm sure you will enjoy that camera. Lots of good use in it, I'll bet. I'm still using a 3.2 Konica.

Those burgers look divine Rich, and what a great score on that camera. The pic of the flowers for Barb is beautiful.

Great looking burgers Rich. Ive been reading a lot about smash burgers and I definitely want to try it. I'd welcome any tips.

Back