First Cook: Ribeye Roast on the 26" Performer XL

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Got a CL 26” kettle and made this:

PICT4963_zpswgdjyv5o.jpg

I needed something to break it in. Found this:

PICT4988_zpsz7r60sg9.jpg

Lit a full chimney of K Lump on the side burner.

PICT4997_zps7qhnd8jo.jpg

I've never cooked a Ribeye Roast before. Found a recipe for a pepper crusted rib roast in Weber's "Smoke" that I used: it was lightly oiled with EVOO & given a heavy rub consisting of 2 tbs coarse cracked black pepper & 1 tbs K salt.
Banked the coals on one side of the grill with 2 splits of mesquite as a dam. Got grill temps at 350* & added the meat bone side down.
Some reds in foil went in too.

PICT5000_zps2aaij9uo.jpg

About 45 minutes later, put some big knob onions on the grill.

PICT5001_zpsgs6ymgii.jpg

Pulled the roast when it hit an IT of 125*, reverse seared & tented under foil for 20 minutes.
Cooked the red & onions a while longer while the roast was resting.
Also grilled some asparagus. Sorry no pix of that.

PICT5009_zpsederdjrj.jpg

The roast was ready to carve.

PICT5016_zpswupvkvg7.jpg

And that's what I did.

PICT5020_zps3rn7j8ed.jpg

Time To Eat! Served with a blue cheese & caper sauce.

PICT5031_zpsakekkoah.jpg

This did not suck! I'll do it again because I bought 2 of those roasts.

fwiw - had to feed the beast twice, it def likes to eat.
build thread here: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69600-My-26-quot-Performer

Last edited:
Robert-

I saw your build thread on the XL Performer, and it's great to see it in action. You definitely chose a worthy inaugural cook, and absolutely nailed it! I'd sit down to that meal any day of the week, and twice on Sunday! Nice job!

R

Awesome to see this gorgeous grill in action! And the food you've produced looks superb.

Great cook; roast looks perfect! Never thought of using splits to hold the coals (I use pavers). I'll have to try that.

You 'da man Robert. For both that terrific 26 Performer build and that gorgeous meal. That's one of the nicest cooks I've seen in quite a while! Is design and fabrication your occupation or just a hobby? You're a natural.

Great cook Robert, I had to laugh I'm doing a two bone rib roast for Barb on Mothers day, my first also. I'm using the Weber smoke recipe you did as a guide, but not the pesto, not a fan of hazelnuts or pesto in general.
Anything you would do different?

Great cook Robert, I had to laugh I'm doing a two bone rib roast for Barb on Mothers day, my first also. I'm using the Weber smoke recipe you did as a guide, but not the pesto, not a fan of hazelnuts or pesto in general.
Anything you would do different?

Thanks, Rich. Can't think of anything I'd change. Recipe doesn't call for a reverse sear - but I like those. Maybe next time: OakRidge BBQ Carne Crosta on top the salt & pepper. I like pesto, but didn't have time to go to the store again. The blue cheese & caper sauce was very good. EZ, too.
You are going to have a lot of leftovers - that roast will feed 4 -5 hungry people. Could have cooked the knob onions a while longer.

Blue Cheese & Caper Sauce from DadCooksDinner

• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
• 1 tablespoon capers, drained and minced

Whisk the blue cheese and caper sauce ingredients in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until it is time to serve.

Last edited:
Excellant grill and one of my top favorite foods to eat I have not cooked one yet either. But I like your presentation, plate shot is the best.

You 'da man Robert. For both that terrific 26 Performer build and that gorgeous meal. That's one of the nicest cooks I've seen in quite a while! Is design and fabrication your occupation or just a hobby? You're a natural.

Thank you. Guess that I missed this earlier. It's a hobby, although I have a lot work related experience. Not that I work anymore. I'm a thing maker at heart. The welding/metal fabrication is pretty much self taught (gotta love the internet) - although I did take an adult education class for a semester. It was very helpful.

Last edited:
Great too see the 26er Performer XL in action, what a perfect break in cook..Rib Roast and fixings look awesome.
Had to feed the beast twice, it def likes to eat.<<< Laugh of the day.

Looks great Robert, Can't beat a good rib roast and there so simple to make and the results are always fantastic.

Last edited:
You are a very talented individual! I love your grill set up. And your rib roast turned out perfect! But your cooks are always top notch!

OK, I'm starting to feel like I'm not doing anything!
Ultra cool grill modification but, I've already told you that. That has got to be my dream dinner, I love roast beef that perfect point of doneness! Can I just eat the whole blasted thing, RIGHT NOW!?!

Quite possibly the ONLY thing that could out shine your performer XL build is that rib roast! I've watched in awe as you took us along on the build of the XL, and it truly is a thing of total awesomeness!! I had to laugh at the pic of the chimney sitting on your side burner.....You could melt hardened lava with that thing as big I as it is!! Great job on both the Performer XL and the rib roast cook, and thanks for taking us along on the ride through out the entire build process!
Great job,
Tim

Back