Clayton BBQ Cook Off (East Bay Area Contra Costa)

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I did this a few years back, it was a lot of fun. Planning on participating in this year's event, schedule willing...

https://claytoncbca.org/event/cbca-rib-cook-off-event/

To sign up

https://claytoncbca.org/product/bbq-competitors/

Hope to see some fellow Bay Areaer's there

bbq-2017-logo-.png

2017-BBQ-event-art-.jpg

I will be judging BBQ at the Clayton contest this year. I heard great things about last year's event so I wanted to make sure to get there this year. Rory Richmond, the organizer, is a great guy...met him first at the contest in Arcadia this past April, then again at the CBJ/CTC class he sponsored in Clayton last month. Can't wait to see in-person what kind of event he puts on.

As always, look for me at the Judges Tent...if you spot me, make sure to ask for a 2017 TVWB pin!

sGFLbWs.jpg

Hopefully I can participate. I've paid my entry fees 3 years running but only participated in the 1st year. July has not been a good month for me of late, but I'm hoping that changes now

Today I volunteered to do number switching at the Clayton BBQ Cookoff in Clayton, CA. Neat little town in the shadow of Mt Diablo, they block off Main Street and setup the teams and vendors in a fairly compact area that's a really nice spot for an event like this. Although it was a very hot day, people seemed to be enjoying themselves and there was plenty of BBQ vending to the public as part of the People's Choice voting.

This was a KCBS Competitors Series contest, an unusual format in which the organizer gets to pick the type of meats cooked and the allowed fuel sources. For this contest these were chicken and ribs only cooked over wood, wood pellets, or charcoal. There were 18 professional teams and 28 backyard teams, so a very high proportion of backyard teams at this event, many first-timers getting their competition feet wet, so to speak. The event really grew a lot this year, and I know the organizer is hoping to expand this to a traditional KCBS Master Series Sanctioned Contest with the usual four competition meats at some point in the near future.

Here are some photos I snapped today, hope you enjoy them. And I'd encourage you to visit a KCBS contest near you in the near future. They're a fun way to spend part of a weekend!

pGrZKBO.jpg

60nuIgU.jpg

8s25dFa.jpg

I58dx7e.jpg

This homemade, oversized version of a Weber Ranch Kettle was made using two satellite dishes. UBO = Unidentified BBQ Object.

I457Dcp.jpg

N92DBaG.jpg

WNeunNl.jpg

OpMsjFT.jpg

s7LYj46.jpg

Good music makes for a good BBQ contest.

vw6ycQq.jpg

Continued...

Today I volunteered to do number switching at the Clayton BBQ Cookoff in Clayton, CA. Neat little town in the shadow of Mt Diablo, they block off Main Street and setup the teams and vendors in a fairly compact area that's a really nice spot for an event like this. Although it was a very hot day, people seemed to be enjoying themselves and there was plenty of BBQ vending to the public as part of the People's Choice voting.
Wish I could have been there Chris. Next weekend is my son's 21st, and that has taken considerable effort getting set up for it. Looks like it was a fine event, hopefully next year....maybe :)

Back