Vortex and wing flipping

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone else notice that they have to flip their wings when using the vortex?

When I first got the vortex the directions stated no flipping necessary, but one my first run I noticed one side of the wings ended up sort of soggy. After that initial run I've since started to flip them but have lost a few arm hairs in the process (yes I'm too lazy to grab gloves). Just curious.

Here are some shots of my last run (lemon pepper and buffalo), still working on perfecting these things - only 2nd run.

Nothing special but here are some shots, because, we, love pics!
ashtk.jpg

289voms.jpg

2s9r2uh.jpg

332vzvs.jpg

Still working on getting color looking right.

Mac LA, when you say flip, are you talking end to end, or just over?
Good looking wings though!

Just over Phil, I always leave the bone toward the fire, at least the drums, per the instructions.

Looks delicious Johnny !

Cooks like this are pushing me closer to purchasing a vortex !

Thanks Bob! Still now what I want them to look like but it's a work in progress. :)

It's a slighter healthier alternative to frying them, at least that's the sentiment I try to fool myself with. LOL

I must admit I don't use it as often as I'd like to; must find more uses for this gadget.

I realize I need to work, heavily, on my photography skills...Sorry for the foot fellas. hahaha

Thank you Bob!

Aside from the foot, I should've waited a bit more before snapping that pic. I believe I had just turned them over so color wasn't quite picture ready.

So does no one else turn them but me?

Perhaps my fire wasn't/isn't hot enough?

Didn't feel the need to use the Mav 733 but the needle on the lid never dropped below 500. Guess I should use the probes next time.

I always flip mine when using the Vortex, guess I didn't read the instructions.

Thanks for you input Pat. This makes me feel better about it. I guess I was too hung up on the directions.

I'm by no means an expert but I use the medium V on my 22" and I do not flip. I light an overflowing standard chimney and dump in the Vortex once the top coals are well-ashed. Also; I do not load foil under my V. Whether that impacts temps I do not know. I have never verified my grate temp but the kettle lid thermometer pegs 600* when I load wings. When I pull the wings I load them on a wire rack.

I made my own vortex, so I just been.......winging it.......when I cook my wings. (Sorry guys, had to do it..) But I always flip mine about +\-20 minutes into the cook amnd they turn out great.
Tim

I have noticed that when the wind is blowing (as it has all spring:() flipping is necessary. I run my vents wide open and also rotate the lid. So, my "standard" now is to flip. On the record, I LOVE the Vortex! Just so we're clear, I only flip once. That applies to wings and also chicken parts (thighs and drums, etc). We have had serious rain this spring (dern near every day, it seems, with high winds (up to sixty MPH), I have had my portable patio cover destroyed, etc. but am really wanting to do some grilling and smoking.

Patience, patience, grasshopper (I keep telling myself)...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'm by no means an expert but I use the medium V on my 22" and I do not flip. I light an overflowing standard chimney and dump in the Vortex once the top coals are well-ashed. Also; I do not load foil under my V. Whether that impacts temps I do not know. I have never verified my grate temp but the kettle lid thermometer pegs 600* when I load wings. When I pull the wings I load them on a wire rack.

I pretty much do the same. Medium, top chimney off and dump. That's is the first time I've used foil under, and it's mainly to help with cleanup. Do the top and bottom of the wings have the same consistency?

I forgot to mention that I do rotate my exhaust (lid vent) periodically while doing wings.

Same.

I have noticed that when the wind is blowing (as it has all spring:() flipping is necessary. I run my vents wide open and also rotate the lid. So, my "standard" now is to flip. On the record, I LOVE the Vortex! Just so we're clear, I only flip once. That applies to wings and also chicken parts (thighs and drums, etc). We have had serious rain this spring (dern near every day, it seems, with high winds (up to sixty MPH), I have had my portable patio cover destroyed, etc. but am really wanting to do some grilling and smoking.

Patience, patience, grasshopper (I keep telling myself)...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I for sure really like the Vortex, just find it necessary to flip or the underside will not be as crispy as the top.

I will give this another run soon and trip to up my temps.

Thanks everyone!

Johnny

Back