Weber Genesis Silver A restore

Joe G

Hi everyone. I have been wanting to grill more during the week and while I love grilling on my Weber kettle, dealing with charcoal during the week can be a pain. I have had a cheap $100 propane grill I picked up from HD a few memorial days ago, but it is junk and doesn't get very hot. I came across this board and realized how much info there is on Weber gas grill rebuilds so i decided to go that route. I checked in on Craigslist for a couple weeks and found a 2000-2003 model (i think, Serial # is faded off) Genesis silver A that was nearby and $40. I went and looked at it and overall, while very dirty, seemed to be in decent shape. No major cracks or rusting beyond repair.

Here is the grill when I picked it up.

weber%201_zps5tnu6ldt.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

weber%203_zps45uryruj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm planning to share my restoration project and probably ask some questions along the way.
Thanks!

Here are some pics of where I am so far.

Everything is torn down and removed. The cart has been scrubbed with 000 steel wool and powerwashed, the firebox has been scraped and powerwashed (degreasing this weekend) and mostly everything else has been cleaned up with 000 steel wool and simply green. I'm probably halfway done cleaning before eventually spray painting with high temp paint the cart, firebox exterior, and lid end caps. The channeled stainless steel grates are in good shape just need brought back to life - i'm going to try soaking in baking soda and vinegar this weekend to see if that does the trick. I read some people soak them in Amonia, but i didn't want to use anything that harsh.

New parts I've purchased so far include: porcelain-coated FB (rusted), SS warming rack (again, rusted), ignitor (worked fine but the metal "shield" on the interior of the firebox was rusted out and falling apart; cheap so replaced it), and the drip pan rack (missing from owner).

Last edited:
2 quick questions as i get started:

1 - is this support bar supposed to just sit on the ends of these bolts here? It fell off during transport and I wasn't sure.

2 - Are these lid end cap nuts able to be easily replaced (e.g. they are widely available at HD or lowes)? I believe i removed them with a 7/16" wrench. I figure while i'm at this, i'll replace them since they seem very worn and am a bit afraid one may bust when i go to reattach it.

Last edited:
The Silver A was my first rehab project. The one I bought was in such good shape all I did was repaint the frame.

Question 1. I'm pretty sure the end of the bolt actually is part of an insert in the end of the frame piece, it should not just hang on the bolt. Have you checked the one on the other end.

Question 2. I didn't have any luck finding those pieces and ended up getting them from Weber. You might be able to find them at Ace Hardware.

Here is a picture of the one I rehabbed, I painted the frame red and dubbed it "Redleg.'

Looks great, Pat.

1 - Yes, I've checked and the center bar is "empty" for lack of a better word on the ends (no threading or inserts).

2 - None of them broke while removing, so i'm hoping they go back on as easily. I was thinking I'd pick up some backups, just in case.

Last edited:
Joe G: I've used zinc nuts on the inside of the lid end caps (question 2) with success, but I did that on an old grill and haven't used it for a substantial amount of time. So I'm unsure how zinc will hold up over time. But the originals in your hand in the picture, though they may seem flimsy, are actually probably fine. Remember their only function is to hold a little bit of pressure each, so just tighten them snug (don't torque them down or anything) and since you have five per end cap there is more than enough strength. I don't know why they used those hollow style nuts there, and I have seen where some replace them and the bolts with stainless steel, so I'll let the more experienced and sage chime in and possibly shed some insight on my zinc experiment too!

Slainte!

Tim

The Silver A was my first rehab project. The one I bought was in such good shape all I did was repaint the frame.

Question 1. I'm pretty sure the end of the bolt actually is part of an insert in the end of the frame piece, it should not just hang on the bolt. Have you checked the one on the other end.

Question 2. I didn't have any luck finding those pieces and ended up getting them from Weber. You might be able to find them at Ace Hardware.

Here is a picture of the one I rehabbed, I painted the frame red and dubbed it "Redleg.'

That's an innovative frame! Wild, man wild!

Thanks THyde. I can see what you mean bc they were not very tight to begin with and came loose with a light turn. I'll plan to clean them Up and reuse them

I think you'll like your silver A. I have one too that someone in my neighborhood put at the curb. I spent about $100 on new parts and it works like it was brand new now.

I love the red painted frame too Pat. Nice contrast with the black.

You can go to Fastenal and get some really nice stainless steel allen head bolts and stainless nuts (I'd use stainless flat washers and lock washers on the inside) I would also use a stainless flat washer under the head portion of the screw. It's a really nice look. Use a dab of never seize on the threads prior to assembly and if you ever do it again it's easier.
On the frame you can buy those square inserts or do as I have done. A long threaded rod all the way through works just fine. I would also make sure the insides of all the frame tubing is dry and then coat them with this http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-black-rust-encapsulator-paint-over-rust.html and get the extension hose that sprays in a 360 degree arc. Allow everything to dry well and reassemble. It won't rust out. You'll have a lifetime grill

I think you'll like your silver A. I have one too that someone in my neighborhood put at the curb. I spent about $100 on new parts and it works like it was brand new now.

I love the red painted frame too Pat. Nice contrast with the black.

Yeah Greg M, I'm looking forward to it. When I looked at the 2-burner Webers at HD and saw they started $399, I knew I wanted to do a rehab project. So far I'm in for a little over $150ish

$40 - Weber Genesis Silver A off of CL
$40 - Porcelain-enameled FB (originals rusted through)
$11 - Igniter kit (original worked fine by the housing inside firebox was rusted through)
$20 - Catch pan and holder (missing from original)
$27 - Warming rack (not sure why I had such a hard time finding one on Amazon for a decent price; ended up ordering directly from Weber)
$15 - 000 steel wool, SOS pads, degreaser, simply green, high temp paint
$153ish Total (so far)

On the frame you can buy those square inserts or do as I have done. A long threaded rod all the way through works just fine. I would also make sure the insides of all the frame tubing is dry and then coat them with this http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-black-rust-encapsulator-paint-over-rust.html and get the extension hose that sprays in a 360 degree arc. Allow everything to dry well and reassemble. It won't rust out. You'll have a lifetime grill

Do you know where I can find those square inserts?

I had planned to work on the interior of the firebox today degreasing and scraping and also spray painting the frame but it's a cold, ugly day here in Pittsburgh so I don't see myself getting much done. We've got a newborn in the house so I'm trying to do as much as I can outside.

I was able to get a good amount of work done today (thanks, decent weather).

First, after letting degreaser soak for a few minutes, I used this rust remover attachment (best $7 I've spend so far) and my drill and cleaned up the firebox interior pretty good. Its not perfect, but I'm happy with it.

Next, after cleaning everything once more with 000 steel wool and simple green, I painted the cart, firebox exterior and hood end caps.

Today I also spent about 1+ hours scrubbing the lid with 000 steel wood and simple green. The inside is not perfect, but I'm happy with how much I was able to remove. The exterior turned out great, except for one area on the top left side. Its a circular spot about 6" in diameter that just does not want to come out. Should I try something more aggressive than 000 steel wool + simple green? I tried SOS pads, as well, but without different results.

I'm wondering what other people have done to clean up the "channeled" stainless steel grates. I first used SOS pads to get the big stuff loose. Next, in large ziplock bags, I soaked the grates in baking soda and vinegar, and then scrubbed with steel wool. I repeated this step a few times before going back to SOS pads for one final run. I spent a good 2 hours of scrubbing and am still not happy with the results. Hoping to hear what others have done to get these things like new (or close to).

Here is how they look currently:

Back